AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

sakers
Message 1 of 17 (290 Views)
Accepted Solution

TRANSFER POINTS

290 Views, 16 Replies
03-04-2014 12:56 PM

WHEN WE TOOK THE CICVIL3D CLASS THE INSTRUCTOR SAID SURVEY POINTS COULD NOT BE MOVED OR ROTATED ONCE THEY WERE INSERTED INTO A DRAWING.  OUR SURVEY DEPT. USES THIS EXCUSE TO REMIAN ON OLDER VERSIONS (LAND), AND SINCE, I'VE KEPT MY EYE OPEN FOR ANY ROUTINE THAT MAY ALLOW MOVE/ROTATE OF ANY SURVEY POINTS.  I RECENTLY DISCOVERD THE "TRANSFER POINTS" UNDER THE POINTS IMPORT/EXPORT POINTS PULL DOWN ROUTINE AND HAVE EXPERIMENTED WITH IT SOME. IT WOULD APPEAR ITS MEANT TO USE THE CANNED COORDINATE SYSTEMS

AND NOT FOR USER COORDINTES AND ROTATIONS.

Q: IS IT TRUE SURVEY POINTS CAN NOT BE ROTATED/MOVED STILL?

Q: IS "TRANSFER POINTS" WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR TO CHANGE THE NORTHING AND EASTINGS FOR POINTS?

THANKS

STAN

What we've found is if you simply erase the points and then do an UNDO command the points will return and you can then simply move/rotate them.

We've done this quite a few times with good success - just make sure you check your survey database units if your setup is anything like ours - you'll need to change it from International Feet to US Survey Foot. With that being said;

The method we've come to use is the erase/undo.

The other method we did for a couple weeks was to write the points out to a text file and then re-import them (with US Survey Foot being set).

We've also become accustomed to taking all the figures and copying any that need to be breaklines onto a SRF-EG-FLT layer. Then flattening all 2d type linework (utilities, buildings, etc...) The reason we flatten our building linework is because our survey crews will sometimes shoot them direct and the elevation we'd get was 6-8 feet above existing ground.

Anyway...I've gotten away from the answer about how to move/rotate your points based on a coordinate you need/know them to be at.

Erase/Undo.

Try that and let us know...

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 2 of 17 (280 Views)

Re: TRANSFER POINTS

03-04-2014 01:21 PM in reply to: sakers

If the points are brought into the drawing through a survey database, then they are locked and cannot be moved or rotated unless you unlock them or do a transformation.

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 3 of 17 (278 Views)

03-04-2014 01:22 PM in reply to: sakers

Then someone should call autodesk and have them remove the option to do so.

mrotat01.png

mrotat02.png

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 4 of 17 (275 Views)

03-04-2014 01:25 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, I think he is referring to moving and rotating based on assumed coordinates.

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 5 of 17 (266 Views)

03-04-2014 01:36 PM in reply to: TRogers
Ok I see what you mean, but thats not exactly what the op said
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 6 of 17 (265 Views)

03-04-2014 01:37 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

True.  Even if you brought points into the drawing through a survey database, you still get the option to move it with the grip rollover, but it will not move.

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Valued Contributor
BtimmermanMMS
Message 7 of 17 (264 Views)

03-04-2014 01:37 PM in reply to: TRogers

What we've found is if you simply erase the points and then do an UNDO command the points will return and you can then simply move/rotate them.

We've done this quite a few times with good success - just make sure you check your survey database units if your setup is anything like ours - you'll need to change it from International Feet to US Survey Foot. With that being said;

The method we've come to use is the erase/undo.

The other method we did for a couple weeks was to write the points out to a text file and then re-import them (with US Survey Foot being set).

We've also become accustomed to taking all the figures and copying any that need to be breaklines onto a SRF-EG-FLT layer. Then flattening all 2d type linework (utilities, buildings, etc...) The reason we flatten our building linework is because our survey crews will sometimes shoot them direct and the elevation we'd get was 6-8 feet above existing ground.

Anyway...I've gotten away from the answer about how to move/rotate your points based on a coordinate you need/know them to be at.

Erase/Undo.

Try that and let us know...

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 8 of 17 (256 Views)

03-04-2014 01:40 PM in reply to: BtimmermanMMS

This actually does work.  But it loses its relationship to the survey database; which is a good thing because it does not affect the database unless you import points from the current drawing back into the database.

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Valued Mentor
ericcollins6932
Message 9 of 17 (249 Views)

03-04-2014 01:46 PM in reply to: TRogers

Fix the raw data and takeoff info, and re-import the data.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2012 SP2
sakers
Message 10 of 17 (250 Views)

03-04-2014 01:52 PM in reply to: sakers

OCCASIONALLY OUR SURVEY CREWS MAKE MISTAKES IN THE FIELD USING A WRONG BACKSITE FOR INSTANCE.  AFTER DOWNLOADING THE POINTS THE PROBLEM IS DISCOVERED AND PART OR ALL THE POINTS NEED TO BE ROTATED AND/OR MOVED TO THIER CORRECT LOCATION.  THIS WOULD BE A MASS EDIT TO THE POINTS.

I ASSUME THERES NOT BEEN A ROUTINE TO DO THIS.  I HAD HOPED ONE WOULD BE WRITTEN FOR LATER VERSIONS....2010,2011,2012...ETC.

I'M STILL USING CIVIL3D 2009.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.