Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Individual Styles Between drawings

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
martin888888
450 Views, 10 Replies

Transfer Individual Styles Between drawings

Using Civil 3d 2011, I am trying to drag and drop styles from a template drawing to my working drawing.  I drag the style into my working drawing and it acts like it is dropping it in my drawing put it never does show up in toolspace.

Anyone ever seen this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Check and make sure you are displaying the settings tab, active drawing view.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 3 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: martin888888

Actually, be sure you are showing the Settings tab, Master View. This will list both drawings.

Try dragging the style up or down within the Settings tab and drop it on the receiving drawing's name. This can be tedious, but if it works...

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 11

Yep, completely messed up that tip.  You should be in the Settings Tab, Master View.  Instead of dragging the style onto the recieving drawing's name, I usually have the recieving drawing open and drag the style into the Drawing Window.

As Tim said, this is tedious.  If I need more than a few styles I usually use the IMPORTSTYLESANDSETTINGS command from the Manage Tab, Import Styles.

Hope this helps.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Message 5 of 11

A very common mistake that people make when dragging styles from another drawing is that two drawings are opened in separate instances of Civil 3D.  In order for the drag-and-drop to work, both files need to be open in the same session of Civil 3D.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 6 of 11
martin888888

and thats exactly what I did.  Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 11
troma
in reply to: brian.strandberg

I don't think  the IMPORTSTYLESANDSETTINGS command is in 2011.

I haven't found it yet, anyway!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 11
brian.strandberg
in reply to: troma

It isn't there for 2011, but you can INSERT a drawing containing styles.  (Remove the geometry from the drawing first)

Message 9 of 11
martin888888

oh ok, so you can just insert another drawing such as a template drawing and it will insert all the styles?  I did not know that.  Thanks

Message 10 of 11
tcorey

Except that you cannot Insert a .dwt, it has to be .dwg. Make a new drawing from the template and save it. Insert that to another drawing and the styles will come in with it. You should want all styles from the template if you're going to do it this way.

Once you step up to 2012 or beyond, you will have a styles manager that lets you pick and choose. It also will import settings.

That was good point someone made about trying to drag styles from one AutoCAD session to another. I rarely have the AutoCAD app open more than once, so I didn't even think about that. Kudos to you!

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 11 of 11
HansSMS

You can also just copy an object from one drawing to a second drawing and then delete it again. The related styles will be brought across during the copy, but will stay in the second drawing after the object has been deleted.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report