Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Station and Points

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ADRooney
3097 Views, 10 Replies

Total Station and Points

I did surveying with total station and i have recorded 

Northing Easting Elevation 

so how will these be COGO points. I need to create a surface thereafter. iIm struck here.

Please reply ASAP.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: ADRooney

Hi,

follow these steps:

• create a new surface
  • open the surface-item in the prospector
  • open definitions
  • right-click on "Point Files" ==> ADD
  • chose the file and the format of the file to get the data assigned to the surface (I guess the format is named like NEZxxxx)

2013-02-06 10-39-59.png

It's the standard procedure, so I don't know if that answers you question

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11
ADRooney

Thanks for the reply.

but please when we build a surface using these surveyed points how to use that surface in Water CAD. ?

I'm attaching a file of some points. Please if you can create me a surface. That would be greatful.
Thank You

Message 4 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

a few questions:

• what version of Civil3D do you use (because if I create a surface using Civil3D 2013 you only can use it also with version 2013).
  • what is "Water CAD"?
  • do you have only points ... without breaklines? Then be careful with all analyses from now on! 😉
  • what coordinate system are these points from? Or you might get troubles joining data from different sources
  • what units are you working on?

And looking to your file you should have the choice to use the predefined import-format PENZ (space delimited) to create a surface from these points.

Please find attached a short video showing the workflow to get a surface from your points. It is done with German Civil3D 2013, but the positions of the menus are the same in English version, so I hope it's a help for you.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 11
BrianHailey

As far as using the surface with WaterCAD, you should find out what type of files WaterCAD can import to use as a surface. Once we know that, we can tell you how to get one of those file types. Most likely (hopefully) WaterCAD can use a LandXML file. If it can, simply right click on the surface name in the Prospector and export it to a LandXML file and then import that into WaterCAD. If it needs a different format, we'll have to figure something out.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 11
ADRooney
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I dont find any DGM layer in auto cad civil 3D 2011. Please could you help me find it.

BTW watercad accepts DXF files so please attach that surface you have made if u can.

Thank yoiu

autocad.png

Message 7 of 11
BrianHailey

He is using a German version of the software so don't look for the names to be the same. Instead, look for the icons and the location of the commands he used in the video.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 11
tcorey

@ADRooney wrote:

so please attach that surface you have made if u can.

Thank yoiu

This isn't that kind of group. You're not likely to get someone here to do your work for you. Ask your questions and we'll do our best to answer and gude you, but you should expect to create the surface yourself.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 11
ADRooney

ok no offence. I won't ask again.

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I dont find any DGM layer in auto cad civil 3D 2011

As Brian already mentioned you don't find DGM because you don't have the German version. What is DGM in my video is "Surface" on your UI (in the prospector exactly that option that you had already selected when you did your screenshot).

There you have to right-click ==> "Add" .... and so on (following more the positions I used in submenus than the menu-names).

I attach here a DXF containing 3D-Faces and contour lines, but I guess whatever is in it might not work for you as:

• I don't know the units you are workign with (I have metric-Meter) set
  • I don't know the coordinate-system from your pointfile (I used none for this DXF)
  • I have no breaklines, so a result with just points without breaklines might be critical/wrong

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 11
ADRooney
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

thank u so much ! it helped me a lot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report