Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topsurv 8 & civil 3d

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Jmarugg
1883 Views, 11 Replies

Topsurv 8 & civil 3d

Does any one have any experiance with using topsurve 8 and civil 3d together. I would like some help getting it to work code wise with civil 3d, and I am not to sure how to do that or where to begin.

~J

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jmarugg
in reply to: Jmarugg

Took all weekend to figure it out and get it set up. Topcon link doesn't like windows 7. It crashes and corupts the topcon XML file. So, I had to create the code library in the collector. One cool thing I found how to do, was create custom report for export that will append a (B) and and (E) too the end of the first and last codes. It also will covert (AS) to (BC) and (AE) to (EC). Topcon uses AS,AE,C,R for line codes to dispay in the collector.  In the collector @ Computer\Pocket_PC\\\Program Files\TPS\TopSURV\FileSettings there is an INI file called IECodeStyles. I modified this file by adding: 

[CODE_STYLE_C3D]
ControlCode0=BC
ControlCode1=EC
ControlCode2=R
ControlCode3=C
ControlCode4=B
ControlCode5=E
NumberOfControlCodes=6
NumberOfSeparators=7
Separator0=
Separator1=
Separator2=
Separator3=
Separator4=
Separator5=
Separator6=
Style=Code,Code String,Control Code Separator,Control Code,note

NOTE: the Separators are "space ". You can modify the control codes to fit your needs. This style will also allow the use of the note field for additional information on the point you are collecting.

The only issue, which is not really a problem, is that when using (C) for close figure Topsurv will append an (E) to the end of the code. So, (BC1 C) will become (BC1 C E). The (E) will be read as a note if you add $2 to you Civil 3D descriptor Keys.

Looks Like I solved my own issue again. Hope this helps some people in the future. 

Tags (2)
Message 3 of 12
BrianHailey

You can probably get a much easier result by changing your code set style so it recognizes the codes created by the data collector instead of needing to post process them to change them to the way C3D defaults are set.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 12
Jmarugg

I thought of that as well. Topsurv uses a new line no. For each line it won't reuse 1. I could match on prefix, but i assthen it would connect points I don't want to connect IE sanitary man holes.
Message 5 of 12
Jmarugg

ok so I am worng. It won't and my guess is because I have not created a figure prefix called san. But I still need some procesing, because the Topcon custome text file out puts this 

1010,56.000,254.000,235.000,BLD(BUILDING CORNER)&"1"
1011,100.000,100.000,235.000,BLD(BUILDING CORNER)&"1"
1012,150.000,100.000,235.000,BLD(BUILDING CORNER)&"1"
1013,150.000,100.000,235.000,BLD(BUILDING CORNER)&"1"@"C"

or

1010,56.000,254.000,235.000,BLD1@AS@|TALL
1011,100.000,100.000,235.000,BLD1|TALL
1012,150.000,100.000,235.000,BLD1|TALL
1013,150.000,100.000,235.000,BLD1@C@|TALL

I just found where you can edit the seporators in the colletor. So, you don't need to edit the INI file after all. I am used to telling the lines when to start and when to stop, but this will be easyer. I am going to go back and see if I can get some of the other field software we use to do the same. 

Thanks for the post and making me revisit the issue. 

Message 6 of 12
bduits

We work with both Topsurv 7 and 8 and have also had issues with the coding structure.  Topsurv is very rigid in its method of coding, and offers little help to remedy them.  We use alpha coding and modifiers for line codes for stringing with a fieldbook file, and have got it working relatively well with post processing.  I export using a a raw file (.rw5), edit in the notepad, convert it to a .fbk file using carlson XPORT, edit it again in notepad, and import the .fbk into Civil3D with linework stringing. DO NOT FORGET to make sure your .fbk file reads on the 3rd/4th line USFOOT for US survey ft or simply FOOT for intl ft. 

But my biggest frustration is how, when coding in the field, it does not allow for space delimited modifiers for point codes, but instead would like Topsurv "attributes" to add tree size, type, or other descriptive additions.  The work around is to make them line codes in the code library. Also, when selecting space as the delimiter, it still puts a "@" symbol there instead.  I just complete  global replace in the notepad to change the "@" to a space to get it to work, but it is still a pain.

If my issues are simple to fix, please let me know as working with C3D for a few years has completely quashed any pride I had left.  I have got it to work, but being self taught I have no idea if it is correct other than that it indeed works.

Message 7 of 12
Jmarugg
in reply to: bduits

What I did was change the linework code sets in C3d to AS (arc start) AE (arc end) C (close).

The in the Data collector under

Computer\Pocket_PC\\\Program Files\TPS\TopSURV\FileSettings

there is an INI file called IECodeStyles. I modified this file in note pad by adding: 

[CODE_STYLE_C3D]
ControlCode0=AS
ControlCode1=AE
ControlCode2=R
ControlCode3=C
ControlCode4=
ControlCode5=
NumberOfControlCodes=6
NumberOfSeparators=7
Separator0=
Separator1=
Separator2=
Separator3=
Separator4=
Separator5=
Separator6=
Style=Code,Code String,Control Code Separator,Control Code,note

NOTE: the Separators are "space ". You can modify the control codes to fit your needs. This style will also allow the use of the note field for additional INFO.

The code style is how the code will be exported when using "custom report" as the export file format.

Back of curb shot will be exported BC1 AS B612 (BC) is the code (1) is the code string "_" is the control code seperator (AS) Control code (arc start) (B612) is the note. You can also change this in the DC when you export to "custom report" format. There should be an Code Style button that will show up on the bottom left hand corner. Tap that, at the bottom there is a button called Separators, tap that and you can change the separators to what ever you want

.topsurv2.png

topsurv1.png

topsurv3.png

Message 8 of 12
BrianHailey

If you are using the linework codesets, you don't need your datacollector to process any linework at all, you just add some information to the point description and you're done.

I'm not saying don't use the datacollector to process it (I'm not a surveyor and I've never used any data collectors) I'm just saying you don't need to.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 12
bduits

Thanks for the replies.  We have found the menus that you described, and are tweaking and testing them now.  We are forgoing the linework in the collector and just making a point to have them fieldbook ready.  I know that C3D added the ability to string off of simple text file imports, but I'd rather stick with raw data formats from our collectors.  Will post updates as I run across them.

Message 10 of 12
Jmarugg

We don't use field book files. I don't have a data collecter the will export one, and I don't feel like trying to covert the raw files. I just export a text file. We are able to use the line work in the DC. I have 2 differant linework code sets in civil 3d. the first one that uses Line begins and ends. The second one I chaged to TOPCON control codes (as)(ae)(c) there is no begin or end for topcon linowork. I then turned match on prefix for the Topcon lineowrk code set. It works really well. The only thing you have to watch for is if your locating a point with out a line (string) Id. Civil 3d will draw line matching these points. BC DEP, BC DEP, BC DEP <--- elevation information points (will get linework). BC1 B, BC1, BC1, BC1 E <---- normal line work. 

Message 11 of 12
bduits

Thanks for the replies, Jmarugg.  I haven't used the linework generated from text files as they tend to connect things I don't want connected (ground elevations, single point codes, etc...), and I am able to get the importation to work better (albeit with a bit more work) using raw data from the data collector.  Glad to hear that you are able to get it to work regardless, and I thank you for finding the menu for toggling the separators and control codes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are using Topsurv 8 in any data collector you should be able to export raw files in a number of formats (I use .rw5) including Fieldbook (.fbk) files.  I have done so with .fbk as a test, but the conversion within the collector does not set up the coding correctly for stringing the linework together, but simply exports the entire file as simply points with the modifiers in the code.

Message 12 of 12
Jmarugg
in reply to: bduits

I use a GRS1 with Topsurv 8. So, exporting a FBK file for GPS will just gives coor. information. I don't know enough about FBK files to be of help. At some point I would like to get into FBK's, so we can take advantage of the network adjustments in civil 3D. We have an older Survey Pro Ranger we use with our TS and don't have the spare 3 -5 grand for a new DC and software. So, I just save the RAW file on a server and export a TEXT or CSV file for import into C3D. If you find out more info on working with FBK files with TOPCON let me know I'll be interested. We maybe upgrading to a Topcon robot at some point in the future.  

~J

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report