Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolspace Survey and Toolbox Tabs disappear sometimes

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
lctilley
2000 Views, 12 Replies

Toolspace Survey and Toolbox Tabs disappear sometimes

Not sure what's going on and I guess it's not that big a deal but every once in a while the "Survey" and the "Toolbox" tabs disappear from my Toolspace. All I have to do is turn it off and then back on and it's fine but it's a little annoying. I haven't really tried to track down what I'm doing when it happens because I never notice it being goine until I need those tabs. Anyone else had this? Any ideas why? How about how to fix it? I game for anything.

Civil 3D 2011 32 bit (Server)

Service Pack 1 Installed

Dell Precision T3400

4 gigs of RAM (Why I don't know)

Windows XP Pro

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: lctilley

Yes - Prospector and Settings disappear from my Toolspace now and again but turning off and back on fixes it - it's a bit random and no idea why it happens

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
freddy_j
in reply to: neilyj666

We've noticed this as well.

Fred Mitchell

G&A

Message 4 of 13
ACADuser

My best guess would be a "flaky" installation.  Have you tried a repair or re-install ?

ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Message 5 of 13
Sinc
in reply to: ACADuser

I've seen it as well.  I'm surprised if you haven't...

Sinc
Message 6 of 13
ACADuser
in reply to: Sinc

I just spent the past month working on my first project using 2011 (upgraded from 2009).  This was also my first project utilizing multiple gradings in combination with corridors to create a finished surface.  I'm sure you can imagine some of the problems encountered with gradings alone.

Because of the multitude of issues I had to deal with, the missing Tabs as mentioned in this post were very minor, I just had to close and open the toolspace each time - no big deal at the time.  Since finishing the plans I was able to look into some of these "minor" issues.  I ended up deleting all of the Civil 3D registry entries and files/folders specific to my windows profile.  Upon loading Civil 3D these files and registry entries are re-created giving a clean set of files.  I have not experienced the missing tab problem since then (about a week now).

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 7 of 13
andram

I wonder if it's a bug in the program, because I have the same problem. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled several times with the same results.

Others have complained of the same issue in other threads, so it's not an isolated problem.

Message 8 of 13
ACADuser
in reply to: andram

Can you confirm whether or not you did a "clean" install ?  Below is a link for instuctions.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14929539&linkID=9240697

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 9 of 13
andram

I haven't tried the clean install. Thanks for the instructions!

Message 10 of 13
lctilley

I really appreciate everyone's input. I wanted to be sure it wasn't just me. I have to say though if so many people are haveing the same issue I doubt whether it has very much to do with the installation. Everyone can't be doing it wrong, right? Anyway, like I said originally, it's really not that big of a deal or at least not enough to lose a couple of man hours each for 12 operators while we try something we're not sure is going to work. I was just kind of hoping Autodesk might catch the thread and check in to this on their own and maybe take care of it. Time will tell.

Message 11 of 13
ACADuser

I don't think it's so much an issue with how the installation is done but more of a problem with how the files are created and managed for each user profile.  These files that are created for each user of the machine become corrupted and are what I beleve to be where the problem lies.  How to prevent this from happening is something that Autodesk should spend more time with and come up with solutions that fixes the issue rather than slapping a band-aid on it (the clean install instructions).

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 12 of 13
mwright

We put in a support request regarding this issue in regards to the Prospector and Settings Tab. I posted this in another thread the other day, but I'll post it again, this is the response from Autodesk:

"Introduced in 2011 are two new commands to control the tabs displayed in Toolspace. In addition to the existing SURVEY and TOOLBOX commands which controlled the display of the associated tabs, now the commands PROSPECTOR and SETTINGS will control the display of these tabs. This was done as part of the memory optimization for the 2011 product. When these tabs are hidden the modules are unloaded from memory. Additionally these can also be toggled on or off from the Home tab of the Ribbon, in the Palettes panel."

For us, every hour or so the Prospector and Settings Tab disappears and only the Survey and Toolbox is left. We are having this issue on XP-32 boxes and W7-64 boxes. The 64 boxes are brand new, and the 32s are old.

My guess is that something is hosed in the new "memory optimization" code along with the new buttons they added. Maybe they can make it optional? Or just fix it?

Message 13 of 13
AirportDesigner

This happens to me at least once a day.  Is there a fix?  Has anyone confirmed if a repair/reinstall will fix?

Thanks

Civil 3D 2011 SP1

Windows 7 Enterprise

Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz

12 GB

64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report