Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Section Grade Break Labels

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Palanlan
2885 Views, 3 Replies

Too Many Section Grade Break Labels

I know this question has been asked before, but I have yet to find a good solution.

I am labelling offset/elevation at grade breaks in section views (many, many section views) for a proposed surface.  For some reason, I am getting somewhere around 40 labels for a section that ought to have 5 or so.

Now, I have used the method expressed in this blog: http://civilfastforward.com/?p=383 which uses expressions to make label text extremely small if a section grade change is below a certain amount (i.e. less than 2%).

While this is quite clever, it does not work if the labels are set to stagger.  The taxt may be small, but the stagger extension lines still appear!  So now, I just have a ton of crooked lines all over the place.  Also, for whatever reason, labels still appear in my sections for non-existent grade breaks on flat sections (and I mean FLAT, no change in elevation, whatsoever).

I know that I can turn the visibility off for labels that I don't want to see.  But I have a lot of superfluous labels and every time I change the surface I'd have to go back through all of the sections and turn the unwanted labels off again, one by one.

Question 1:

Has anyone come up with a better solution to this problem?  I've done quite a bit of searching and everyone seems to point back to using expressions, which seems like a half-fast work around that doesn't actually work that well.

Question 2:

Is there a way to fix my surface so that AutoCAD doesn't find grade breaks everywhere?  Surface smoothing? Reduce section view precision?

Question 3:

Why isn't there a weeding parameter based on SECTION GRADE CHANGE for grade break labelling, and only a weeding factor based on DISTANCE? This would be incredibly helpful feature (I'm talking to you, Civil 3D creators!).

Running AutoCAD Civil 3D
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jnjhuz
in reply to: Palanlan

Did you ever find a solution to your problem. I have the same question. I have multiple labels for a single slope.

Message 3 of 4
Palanlan
in reply to: jnjhuz

Nope, didn't ever find a real solution.  Used a workaround in this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Filtering-Grade-Break-Labels/td-p/3464112

Basically you use an expression to make the label text tiny if the grade break is outside of a specified range.  I actually found that using the expression to make the unwanted labels' text huge, then hiding all of them by selecting an right-clicking worked much better.  Otherwise you end up getting a bunch of dots on your sections which are the tiny superfluous grade break labels.  Furthermore, if you make the text on the unwanted labels small, the extensions still show up so you end up with a bunch of jogged lines.

It seems like the Autodeskies could fairly simply add a weeding factor based on 'change in grade' to the section grade break dialogue box but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Running AutoCAD Civil 3D
Message 4 of 4
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: Palanlan

@Palanlan wrote:

Question 2:

Is there a way to fix my surface so that AutoCAD doesn't find grade breaks everywhere?  Surface smoothing? Reduce section view precision?

This happens when you have surface triangles crossing you section sample lines.

You need to make sure your corridor section frequency matches your sample lines, so that the corridor surface has triangle lines with edges running along the sample line.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report