Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title Boundary Shown on Profile

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
javbarcelo
401 Views, 7 Replies

Title Boundary Shown on Profile

Hi there,

I would like to show the title boundary of our site on a profile in a way that is dynamic. Same idea than on cross sections, where you can create an alignment running along the title boundary and then show a block where the boundary lies on each cross section. I knnow I could project a cogo point where the alignment intersects the boundary. This method is not perfect because, if the alignment changes and, therefore, the intersection point with the bounday changes too, the cogo point won't follow the alignment, staying at its original location. Hence, I'll have to update it manually. I tried using a feature line, but it seems I cannot show a marker only where it intersects the alignment.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Regards

Javier Barcelo

Civil 3D 2011

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: javbarcelo

Make a surface with your boundary line and use a style that only shows in profile.

turn th BL into a FL, offset a small amount on either side, assign elevations from eg or what ever surface you want it to lie on in the profile, raise the middle 1 unit (or whatever arbitrary unit you want ) add to surface, make the inside FL a hide boundary, add to profile view and a small triangular surface should show with the point being the boundary line.

Get as fancy as you want creating the marker shape with FL offsets

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 8
troma

Another option: how about a pipe network? Pipe styles can display the crossing location in profile, so if the diameter is small enough you'll get a small polygon at the crossing location.
To have this dynamic (and presuming your boundary is not just one straight line) you need to have a pipe run for every section of boundary, tracing it obviously. Set a pipe style to display "centerline" only in plan, and only "crossing inside walls" in profile. Then draw the whole network in profile; the only parts that will show up are ones that actually cross the alignment.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 8
javbarcelo
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

I have finally found time to look into your solution. Thanks so much for replying. That's a very clever workaround. I followed your steps and it works fine except for the marker. I couldn't figure out a way to add a marker to the vertex of the small triangle shown on profile. I tried adding a marker to the profile style at the highest point, but it doesn't display. What do you mean "creating the marker shapes with FL offsets".?

Cheers

Javier

C3D 2011

Message 5 of 8
javbarcelo
in reply to: troma

Thanks for you reply Troma. That's a very smart workaround. I don't think I can apply it to this scenario, since it's a large site, which will mean too many pipes along the entire boundary, creating a very large file and taking too many resources.

I'll definitely keep it in mind for smaller areas.

Cheers

Javier

C3D 2011

Message 6 of 8
troma

I think what Joe is talking about is building the surface with f-lines.

So, you offset your f-line a little horizontally & a little vertically.  Do it a few times if you like; build a dramatically V-shaped surface or a berm or whatever you like along the boundary.  Whatever shape you build the surface, that's the shape that will show up in profile.  (It may be wider or narrower depending on your vertical exageration and the angle between the alignment and property line at the crossing location.)

BTW, I think others have requested this feature as a wish list: to draw f-lines (& parcells) in profile with a 'crossing location' marker similar to the way they work for section views.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 8
javbarcelo
in reply to: troma

You're right Troma. After reading again Joe's suggestion, I realised what he meant. Unfortunately, that's missing the dynamic labeling. I can't believe you can't display and label a crossing object on profile view as on cross sections. Frustrating...

I am going to try using your work around with pipe networks and see if the label works.

Cheers

Javier

C3D 2011

Message 8 of 8
troma

You could add a profile PVI label with a large weeding factor, so you'll only get one of them on the 'mini profile' of that surface.  You could make the label say "BOUNDARY".

With the pipes, sure you can make a label for the pipe in profile view, but it won't necessarily snap to the crossing location, even if that's all you have displayed.  So you may end up having to slide it down the length of the invisible pipe to get it into the right spot.

I'm 100% with you on showing crossing locations, and I think many others are too!

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report