Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Title block will not insert, but it will open. Why?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dbombliss128
5178 Views, 8 Replies

Title block will not insert, but it will open. Why?

I'm having an issue with a title block in Civil 3d. I have a dwg. in model and need to insert the company titleblock for printing. I've inserted third party title blocks to ensure that it works, but when I select the company blocks it won't show. I go through the steps of selecting where to insert it with the crosshairs, but it never shows or scales. It's invisible. When I insert the third party titleblock, it shows immediately in the crosshairs and prompts to be scaled.

I can click the DWG. file of the title block, and it will open as a layout in paperspace, but again I can't get it to insert. If I open a new project and try to insert it with the model blank, it won't show. If I click the file with autocad closed, it will open up and show in the layout.

What's going on here? This is suppose to just be a simple task of inserting for printing, but none of the 3 company title blocks will load.

-Dan

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jggerth1
in reply to: dbombliss128

If the elements of the title block are in Paperspace, which is what it sounds like, then things are working 'as designed'.  Nothing that is in paperspace will appear in a destination drawing whether inserted as a block, or aqttached as an XREF.

The solution is to move all the graphical elements in the titleblock drawing from Paperspace to Modelspace before trying ti insert into your drawing.

Message 3 of 9
dbombliss128
in reply to: jggerth1

Well the thing is that I am not trying to work outside of paperspace. I am trying to insert the titleblock into paperspace, and then ad a viewport of the model to setup for printing.

I don't understand why these title blocks will not import, but the sample blocks (downloaded) will work just fine. I'm just trying to insert title head, ad viewport of drawing, scale, print. First step isn't work out.

I had read on a forum response, elsewhere, that the problem was solved by exporting the paperspace to model space and correcting the base point. I've tried that by clicking the file. The file opens in paper space, highlight it, export it to model. Open the model, highlight, command "base", save points to 0,0,0. Then copy and past the title block back into paperspace. Again this will not insert into paperspace, but I can "launch" that file and it will open in paper space.

-Dan

Message 4 of 9
jggerth1

@dbombliss128 wrote:

I had read on a forum response, elsewhere, that the problem was solved by exporting the paperspace to model space and correcting the base point. I've tried that by clicking the file. The file opens in paper space, highlight it, export it to model. Open the model, highlight, command "base", save points to 0,0,0. Then copy and past the title block back into paperspace. Again this will not insert into paperspace, but I can "launch" that file and it will open in paper space.

-Dan

It's putting the titlblock linework back into paperspace that's killing you.  Leave that lineowrk in modelspace, and insert THAT.

Repeat -- nothing that exists in paper space will be used/visible when a drawing is inserted into, or xreffed into, another drawing.  ONLY Modelspace objects will.  Paperspace elements in drawing are ignored.

Message 5 of 9
rl_jackson

Use Design Center. This will allow you to drag and drop PS layouts to the drawing.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
dbombliss128

Again, it's not really answering my question as to why it won't open. I downloaded a dwg. sample title block. I can insert that just fine into paperspace. When I try to insert mine, it doesn't show up.

I apologize if I'm being confusing. Maybe if you can answer why one will insert but not the other, I'll have a good starting point for figuring it out. The only reason I went to model and back was to try a suggestion, which did not work.

Do I need to do something particular to export the layout, save it in a certain location, ect? I'm coming up short for answer to remedy this. It'd be one thing if I couldn't get ANY titleblocks to insert, but it's not. It's our titleblocks that will not insert.

Message 7 of 9
rl_jackson

The same has all the linework in model space. Your linework is in paper space. so in order to get it to a new drawing us must use design center

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
jggerth1

the reason the downloaded titleblock will appear in the destination drawing is that there are elements in Modelspace in that titleblock.  The reaon your titleblock will NOT appear after being inserted is that all the graphical elements are in Paperspace.  ONLY modelspace elemets will display when inserted or xreffed.  Paperspace elements are always ignored during insertion or referencing.  

If you leave you titleblock linework in Modelspace, and insert that into Paperspace in your destination drawing, it _will_ work.

Caveat -- if you've previously inserted you'll have to rename the block that's already in the destination drawing, or redefine it, erase it and purge.  Otherwise the existing (non-useable) block defintion will continue to be used.

Message 9 of 9
doni49

Another way to explain the same thing that JGerth is trying to explain (just in case a different viewpoint helps):

Try OPENING the titleblock file.  Where are you when you see the titleblock linework?  In Modelspace?  Or in a paperspace layout?

If this linework is NOT in modelspace, it will NOT SHOW up when you insert this dwg file no matter what you try to do.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report