Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for Resolving Survey Data

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
DaveM
365 Views, 4 Replies

Tips for Resolving Survey Data

All,

I am curious if any one has any good tips for this.

I import multiple CSVs. and I get a duplicate Point# error, so I Resolve. It gives the point a name and no number. How can I have it show me the original point and resolved points in a row so that I can identify wether or not it is a seperate point, or the same point.

I am trying to oranize a bunch of data that was collected before I got her that was a little mis-managed as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MATRIX3DSURVEYS
in reply to: DaveM

I hate point numbers.  I run projects with upwards of 20 survey crews using equipment from different manufactures and multiple survey methods.  The *.csv file import method is the best method to use.  Forget about the point numbers  and use the description field.  Format the file as  PXYZD.csv and use description keys to identify and sort the information.  On the import menu duplicate point numbers option (use next point number.)

After import apply description keys to put points on the proper layers and generate line work.

Excel can be used to sort the records and identify duplicates POINT NUMBERS.

1. Process data in the Equipment Manufactures Software so all the capabilities of the instrument can be used. Save processed data in the PXYZD.csv format

2. POINT NUMBER  standards for point  numbers: ( If you insist on using point numbers)

CONTROL 1-1000: PRIMARY CONTROL 1-199,  VERTICAL CONTROL 200-299, GPS CONTROL 300-399

TRAVERSE assign blocks of numbers to each crew. CREW 1 1001 - 1999, CREW 2 2000 - 2999 ect.

SIDESHOTS  100000 - 999999

STAKEOUT    1000000 - 99999999

3. DESCRIPTION KEY SETS - make sure all crew are using the same code set for both Points and Line work.

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 3 of 5
IanMcClain

Have you tried using the offset point number option? I haven't had the need to use it in awhile but I have before. If you have multiple files for the same site with oberlapping numbers you could use a different offset for each file, ie +10000 for the first, +20000 for the second, etc.

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 5
DaveM
in reply to: IanMcClain

I have not, but that may be where I end up going.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 5 of 5
BrianHailey

In addition to what Jim recommends, I also recommend importing each point file seperately and then putting those points into a point group with the exact same name as the point file. This acts as a sort of "import event".

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report