Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tin surface thickness

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
662 Views, 3 Replies

tin surface thickness

I want to give my tin surface a thickness. Not a skirt around the edge, where it is still hollow inside, but an actual thickness. Similar to a solid. Is this possible? I am trying to send my surface out to be created using a 3D plotter and they say they need a solid.

thanks,
rick
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Try setting the style to 3d faces, then exploding it. That will give you
faces that can be extruded 0.001 to give it thickness. Not sure how you'd
stitch it back together though....

Hmmm

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
Civil 3D 2006 SP2
XP Tablet, SP2, 2GHz, 1.5G
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
Message 3 of 4
saluki

Here's a post that may help you out . . .

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=468572

good luck
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks James for the help. That is exactly what I ended up doing (minus the extrusion part). I am not sure if it is going to work or not. The model maker has it right now, and I haven't heard back. On a separate note, you posted a "best practices" for 2006 not long ago. In that list of items, you had one that said to separate your drawing into many drawings. For example, alignment.dwg, profile.dwg, surface.dwg, etc. etc. I took your advice and did that. I used data shortcuts and xrefs to compile everything back together. Now in 2007, I am not sure how to bring those 2006 files together since I don't have my projects anymore to link my data shortcuts. So my question is how do I migrate my 2006 drawings using projects and data shortcuts into 2007? Is it possible? If it is not possible, and I have a profile.dwg file that is using a data shortcut to reference an alignment.dwg is this profile useless now in 2007? I have tried to take one of these profile.dwg files and use xml to put it into the same file as the alignment (basically tried to put all of my separate .dwg files back together into one mega dwg) but the profiles just disappear completely when imported. Do you have any suggestions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report