Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This looks interesting, Interactive Terrain Modeling

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
Jeff_M
1710 Views, 38 Replies

This looks interesting, Interactive Terrain Modeling

Anyone tried it out yet?

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3d_terrain/

C3D2012-x64 only at this time.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
38 REPLIES 38
Message 21 of 39
GZE
Advocate
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

am not sure but i clicked save workspace icon  after loading TS cui.

please explain the procedure

Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 22 of 39
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: GZE

Click the icon in the bottom right hand corner that looks like a gear.  There you will see Workspace Settings.  Click Workspace Settings and when the dialog box appears, click the radio button for Automatically Save Workspace Changes.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 23 of 39
GZE
Advocate

Yes I did that it didint work.

Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 24 of 39
GZE
Advocate

thanks trogersnow it works.

Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 25 of 39
ToddRogers-WPM

Smiley Happy

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 26 of 39
Smita
in reply to: ralstogj

Hi Justin,

Thanks for giving it a try. We would like to learn about your workflows and incorporate them into the product. We would like to get the details of the crash you encountered so that we can fix it. Please send your feedback to the email distribution list: labs.civil3d.terrain@autodesk.com.

Thanks,

Smita

Message 27 of 39
brianmcgough6538
in reply to: Jeff_M

I've used the pond tool a bit now. I like what it does so far. I think the video said not to do it... but I have grip edited my pond feature line to change the shape and it seems to update fine  and in fact in grid view it's FAR faster than normal Civil 3D.

A couple of suggestions I would have are (some of these might stem from my lack of knowledge of the features):

1. It would be nice to be able to change the rim width at various places in the pond. This might be possible using working elements, but I've not advanced enough to use them. Demonstrations of uses of the various working elements might be beneficial.
  2. I've noticed that cut and fill planes project beyond where they first connect with existing ground.
  3. It would be nice to be able to turn off some finished items while leaving others on. For example, I wanted to put two ponds at slightly different locations, but I didn't see a way to hide one while leaving the other visible to work on.
  4. I'm not sure how to show finished ground after it's been hidden, since that command hides the grid and you must select a grid to turn on finished ground.
Message 28 of 39
Smita
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for your feedback. Most of the points you mentioned are only limitations of the labs preview and will be addressed in a feature release. Let me explain each point one by one:

1. We are not trying to sound a death knell of Tin at all. We view this as a complementary approach to modeling and editing. In future, you will be able to extract Tin from a grading grid to get the finished ground.

2. We have not done any work on performance, hence the solids are slow. The model being demonstated in the pond video was fairly large (at least 50,000 triangles within site boundary). We hope to address this limitation in future.

3. The grid view is meant only for conceptual design stage, so the volumes are rough. Solid representations are very accurate and so are the solid volumes. (Currently, we are not displaying solid volumes but we would do so in future.)

4. In future, we would improve the interface with a graph that contains operation nodes (primitive elements and combination rules) to reveal the hidden steps behind model creation. Currently, the best way to understand the hidden steps would be through the User Guide. For example, refer to page 5 of the User Guide to see "Behind the Scene Operations" for pond creation.

Please feel free to send any further questions/feedback to the email distribution list: labs.civil3d.terrain@autodesk.com.

Thanks,

Smita

Message 29 of 39
neilyj666
in reply to: Smita

Thanks for the response - I'm hoping to use the terrain modeller over the next few weeks on my own dataset....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 30 of 39
Smita
in reply to: brianmcgough6538

Thanks for your suggestions. Let me make sure I have understood them fully:

1. Do you want the rim width to transition along the boundary according to some rule?  I don't think we can do this now even with the working elements because currently, we are not supporting transitioned offsets, but this is just a limitation of the labs preview. I imagine that you want to specify offsets at some points along the boundary and have the width transition in the intermediate regions, right?

2. Cut and fill grids are unbounded and always extend up to the site boundary extents by design. (Contrast this to bounded cut and fill grids that extend up to the distance you specify.) However, when such grids are combined with the finished ground, the portion beyond the existing ground is trimmed away. Let me explain this with an example. Let's say you want to grade from a feature line in fill. This involves two steps:

• Create a fill element using Create Fill Grid command located in Create Working Element panel. This fill grid is unbounded and extends all the way to the rectangular extents of the site boundary. This fill grid is called a working element.
  • Use Custom Fill to integrate the grid created in the previous step into the finished ground. This step trims away the piece that lies below the finished ground.

Alternatively, you can use Add Fill (in Add Fill panel) to perform the two steps using one command. When you sub-select the fill grid (using Ctrl+Select), you will be able to see this grid in its full extents. To summarize, the finished ground will always contain cut and fill grids that have been trimmed so that they don't extend beyond where they intersect with the finished ground. The advantage of this approach is that it offers a flexible design and many working elements can be combined with each other to create versatile shapes before using custom fill/cut commands to combine them with the finished ground.

3. Interesting point. I have taken a note of this. I imagine this to be an option on the History dialog where some operations can be turned off (similar to tin operations) so that they don't appear in the finished ground.

4. This is again a limitation of the labs preview. Hide finished should be used only when you have working elements. If you accidentally hide the finished grid without creating working elements, then undoing is the only way now to turn it back on.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to more suggestions from you. Please keep us posted.

-Smita

Message 31 of 39
brianmcgough6538

Smita,

1. Yes, that's it exactly. Often we will need to have a wider rim on the outlet side of the pond than on the inlet.

2. I've seen the behavior I mentioned on terrain shapes, which are finished ground I think? Here is a screenshot showing a pond shape which has the cut projected like I mentioned before.

Message 32 of 39
Smita
in reply to: brianmcgough6538

Thanks for attaching the image. I understand the problem now. The cut grid (in red) is emerging in two other places. This is a side-effect of unbounded gradings. We have included some tools to fix this. I will show you two ways of getting around this problem:

1. Holes: Draw a closed 2D poly line (I prefer a rectangle) around the problematic region. Run Create Hole located in Modify Element panel. Choose the cut grid and the poly line. A hole will be created in the grid and so the region inside the hole won't show up in the final surface. You will have to create two holes to get rid of both regions.

2. Bounds: Draw a closed 2D poly line around the pond to indicate a rough boundary of the pond. Run Bound Element located in Modify Element panel and choose the cut grid and the poly line. The cut grid will now be clipped by this boundary and any piece of cut grid that was appearing above the ground outside this boundary will disappear.

Question for you: Would you like to specify an approximate boundary of the pond when you run the pond command? This will ensure that the cut and fill grids do not project beyond this boundary. You can change the boundary later. Let us know.

Thanks,

Smita

Message 33 of 39
eric.chappell
in reply to: AllenJessup

I've started digging into it and have been blogging as I go.

http://ericchappell.blogspot.com/search/label/ITS

Message 34 of 39
Smita
in reply to: eric.chappell

Nice article – you’ve gone further into the functionality than many other bloggers!

A suggestion regarding the warning message about associated objects - this one should not be ignored. It may cause problems with object updates if you modify something. You are getting this message because there is a circular dependency:

1. The flat bounded plane derives its extents from the feature line. (Bounded plane operation)

2. The feature line derives its elevations from the flat bounded plane. (Fill Grid with infill operation)

To avoid this, you should create an unbounded flat plane in the first step. That way, when you create a fill grid with plane as infill, it will use the plane to define the interior only and the results will be the same, except that you would not have created a circular dependency.

We will be posting some more videos on the labs site to demonstrate commands on the right end of the ribbon tab. So stay tuned.

Smita

Message 35 of 39
eric.chappell

Smita, thank you for clearing this up.  I tried what you said and it worked beautifully.  I even added a new blog post about it.

http://ericchappell.blogspot.com/2012/03/interactive-terrain-shaping-circular.html

Message 36 of 39
gustavo.bergoya
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi,

In this time, where i can find this?

Thaks

Message 37 of 39

These posts were in 2012.  This is long gone.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 38 of 39
neilyj666

This functionality (or something similar) would probably be found in Infraworks 360 at some point in the future.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 39 of 39
gustavo.bergoya
in reply to: neilyj666

You are right, thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report