Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about converting to Civil 3D

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
windycityengineer
797 Views, 24 Replies

Thinking about converting to Civil 3D

I work for a surveying/engineering firm. One licensed surveyor, three surveyors and one civil engineer. The surveying department do ALTAs, property surveys, topos, boundary surveys, mortgage requests. etc. The engineering department does site design, pipe network designs, grading. All of the surveyors uses Softdesk and Land Desktop 3 to process the survey information they get from the field and converts it into information the engineer can use

We are thinking about using Civil 3D but the management has concerns about compatibility issues.

Below are some of the concerns/fears the management has:

Will Civil 3D recognize old Softdesk points?

Will Civil 3D recognize old Land Desktop points, ASCI files, topos, contours?

Once these old Softdesk points or Land Desktop points are converted to Civil 3D points, can Land Desktop still use them?

-WindyCityEngineer

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
annw2
in reply to: OMCUSNR

I agree, but flakey drafter and IT person don't like the idea.  It hasn't become worth the fight yet.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 22 of 25

Prepare for several months of learning curve muliplied by the number of people you have.   It crashes all the time for no apparent reason.  You have to be completely famiiiar with "object oriented programming" before you even begin to understand what is actually going on.   And not to "blow my own horn"  I have multiple degrees, including advanced degrees in engineering and seriously suggest you look closer at other products before you make the SERIOUS TIME INVESTMENT which translates to real production dollars.   It will be at least 6-8 months before your drafting people are back to normal production rates even so, you will still have to suffer thru mutiple crashes and unexpected fatal errors even if you get reasonably proefficient on using it.

Appreciate all the help from the Forum
Version: AutoCAD C3D 2010
Message 23 of 25
dnl999
in reply to: JeffWright5789

I understand, and share to a certain extent, your frustration but don't you think you are a bit harsh on Civil 3D ?

Every software has strength and weakness.

Message 24 of 25
JeffWright5789
in reply to: annw2

Everyone has an opinion...  I certainly have mine...  I am also a programmer.  I think the unexpected crashes are inexcusable for software that costs as much as this does.  Think about it...  Something between $2000 and $2500 per seat times hundreds of thousands of users if not millions of users?   Why not spend just a fraction of that profit on a few software testers?   I know... you're thinking they did...  This product represents what they think is good quality control?

Truth is, can't do the job without it and it  is my "right hand" in drawing preparation.  A hand with 3 fingers is better than no hand at all...

Appreciate all the help from the Forum
Version: AutoCAD C3D 2010
Message 25 of 25
Sinc
in reply to: JeffWright5789

If you think it's bad now, then you REALLY wouldn't have liked it a few years ago...  Smiley Very Happy

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report