Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the best specification for a laptop

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rpichardo
1671 Views, 5 Replies

the best specification for a laptop

Hello,

can you tell me What is the best specification must have a laptop for a better performance using Autocad Civil 3D?

There are any specific brand recommended for this program or recomendation like, what video card i need to use, something like that.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jeff_M
in reply to: rpichardo

"Best" is rather subjective. I've been using top of the line Sager laptops (sagernotebook.com) for nearly 4 years and have no issues with how C3D performs on them. These are not cheap, nor light, but they are workhorses! My 'everyday' laptop has been used literally every day since I got it in January 2011. It has the gaming nVidia card which works just fine until I want to do some realistic 3d rendering where it does bog down. I have a newer one, bought in March 2013, that is a great laptop, but it has Windows 8.1 so will not run C3D 2013 and earlier. Since I have to upport C3D2011-2015, I still use the older one more often.

Sager "Notebook" NP7280, i7-960@3.20, 12GB, 128gb SSD, 500gb 7200rpm HDD, nVidia GeForce GTX 470M, Win7 Pro x64 OR
Sager "Notebook" NP9750, i7-3930@3.20, 32GB, 256gb SSD, 750gb 7200rpm HDD, nVidia GeForce GTX 670Mx, Win8.1 Pro x64

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 6
AllenJessup

A Dell M6800 with 16GB of RAM. It comes with an AMD video card. I have the M6500 and it's great. Or go with Jeff's Sager recommendation. I had a Sager before the Dell and it was just as good or better than the Dell. The funny thing is that since they have to be more strict with what they can stuff in a portable workstation. I find they run better than the equivalent desktop workstation.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Pointdump

R,

Make sure you check out the recommended hardware page:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

C3D 2015 is really picky about graphics cards.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 6
pbemis

I got an Alienware 17 about 5 months ago, it has win 8.1, but I can run C3D in a virtual windows 7 machine with no problems, even doing the 3d rendering isn't bad. It's got an nvidia M780 with 4 gig on the video and 32 ram. I've been using Vmware for the virtual. You can set the amounts of ram for the video and program to use in Vmware.

Message 6 of 6
sboon
in reply to: pbemis

I considered Alienware, but was warned that since they were acquired by Dell the quality of their components has gone down.  Here's my specs.

Steve
Civil 3D 2014 & 2015
Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q890
2 x i7 - Q740 quad core CPU's
8GB of RAM
60GB SSD + 500GB HDD
NVidia GeForce GTS 360M - driver 8.17.13.0697
Win 7 Home Premium
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report