Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The association between design speed (V) and radius of circular curve (R),

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
JamaL9722060
742 Views, 6 Replies

As the R is positively related to V according to the equation (attached), then I expect that the C3D changes R value as the value of V is changed.

For example, on the attached screenshots, the R value of horizontal alignment is built based on a design speed of 100km/hr. Now if the speed is changed to 50km/hr, then why the value of R is not automatically changed to be compatible with the new speed?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Perhaps you did not understand my last post. C3D does not take V into account when laying out alignments. V is only used when using criteria-based design to flag horizontal curves with a radius too small or vertical curves with insufficient K values to the user can fix them.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 7
sboon
in reply to: ericcollins6932

It might be possible for a third party developer to build a utility that would check the horizontal and vertical alignment against the design criteria, and change things where possible to fit the design speed.  You may want to post this request in the Customization forum and see if anyone can help you.

Personally I don't want the software making changes like that on its own.  I can see the error flags and make my own judgement about how to fix them.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 7
pinwards
in reply to: JamaL9722060

Also, a curve designed for 100 km/hr would be perfectly suitable for 50 km/hr. The last thing I would want a program to do is to automatically make all my curves the minimum required radius for a given design speed.

#
Message 5 of 7
JamaL9722060
in reply to: pinwards

Many thanks Eric and Steve. Now it is much clearer.

I share the idea of “pinwards” to be able to have the minimum value of R that satisfies the design speed instead of just flagging.

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
Message 6 of 7
troma
in reply to: JamaL9722060

Hi Jamal.
I think you have misunderstood what pinwards is saying. When he says "The last thing I would want..." this means "I do not want..."

The reason is that the design of the curve will probably be based on many considerations besides design speed. Existing topography and legal boundary lines will influence where the road can be built. I may want a certain curve 'overdesigned' in that the design is much better than the minimum requirements, and I would not want the program to automatically adjust this curve to the minimum. Another curve may be 'underdesigned' on purpose; it doesn't meet the criteria but the engineer has decided that it is the best possible fit for the situation.

Perhaps a useful tool would be one that allowed the user to adjust the R to the minimum value based on V for each curve, one at a time, as desired by the user.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 7
JamaL9722060
in reply to: troma

Many thanks troma for the help. The answer you have already provided is very useful.

I got that the value of R can be calculated from two equations

R=1719.74/Da, where Da is the degree of curvature

R=V^2/127(e+f), V: speed, e:superelevation, f: friction

R to be the maximum of these two values.

Jamal Numan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report