Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text size control in Viewports

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Tentie
11825 Views, 11 Replies

Text size control in Viewports

I have 2 viewports, one at 1:1000 and the other at 1:250.  They show exactly what I want with respect to the area covered and the zoom factor, BUT the text on all of the survey shots is changing size based upon the different viewport scales.

I need the text on the survey points to remain the same size and not adjust based upon the viewport scale.  So the text should be a fixed scale and not asscociative.

I have looked at the labeling style Composer dialogue and can not see a way to specify a fixed height which does not adjust based upon the viewport scale.

I can set the point symbols to a specific size so they do not scale - Can I do the same with the text labels (description, elevation, etc.)?

I appeciate any assistance anyone can offer,

Glen

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ericcollins6932
in reply to: Tentie

2 words. Annotative text.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 12
sboon

I think you're stuck with this Glen.  As far as I know all Civil3D label styles are defined by their plotted dimensions, and they will always adjust sizes as necessary to match the viewport scale. 

The only thing I can think of, and it's an ugly solution, would be to create point styles which used a block that included the text as part of the symbol.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 12
ericcollins6932
in reply to: sboon

You could brute force it by exploding to autocad primitives and ensuring resultant text is not annotative? Quickest solution I can think of.
Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 12
BrianHailey

Message 6 of 12
sboon
in reply to: BrianHailey

I've occasionally wondered why the drawing scale conversion factor is included as a parameter for the label styles.  Now I finally have a use for it.  Thanks Brian!

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 12
Tentie
in reply to: BrianHailey

I am running C3D 2012 and this does not seem to work.  Either that or I am not doing something correct.

When I try and modify the text height, it only allows a number as input.

Any thoughts?  What did I miss?

All others - I know I can always "brute force it" but I was hopeing for an elegant option 🙂

Thanks,

Glen

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 8 of 12
andrewpuller3811

Have you created an expression first?

Until you create an expression, you can only enter numbers in the text height box.

Once an expression is created, when you click in the text height box, the value changes to <Specified value> and a drop down arrow will appear on the right hand side of the text height box. Click this drop down arrow and select the expression name you used when you created the expression.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 9 of 12
Tentie
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Okay - that makes a difference! 🙂 

Thanks!

Glen

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 10 of 12
CityWF

How did youset the point symbols to a specific size so they do not scale?

Message 11 of 12
Tentie
in reply to: CityWF

I do  not remember exactly which menu or dialogue it was in, but when I was telling the Description Keys which symbol to use, there was an option on the top right of the dialogue (if I remember correctly) that allowed me to set the scale factor based upon world units (or something like that) where I could tell it to use a specific scale factor or set the real size.  I set the real size and now the symbols will remain consistant.  So a 10 foot tree will be a 10 foot tree no matter what scale the viewport is set to.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Cheers,

Glen

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 12 of 12
BrianHailey

That's in your point style, not description key.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report