Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

target surfaces

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
ashleystrand
381 Views, 14 Replies

target surfaces

Is it possible to target the datum surface of the same corridor your assmebly is in?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

I don't know for sure, but I would say it cannot be done because you are trying to target to a surface that is being created by the assembly that is looking to target to it.

Kind of feels like which came first type of question. Chicken/egg/chicken/egg

Message 3 of 15

That's kind of what I was thinking.  That it might not work because of the whole circular reference thing. In that case, is there any way to get a link to go from the ground up to a certain point on an assembly?

Message 4 of 15

Here is how I would handle that.

I would create a polyline, create an alignment from it. create a profile for that polyline on the surface that you want your assembly to tie to.

Then.............here is the hard part..........

target that alignment and that profile to control a link segment.

The hard part is thta I cannot remember the specific generic subassembly to use.

I mention the rest because you, or someone else watching me type this mess might know the rest of the story.

Message 5 of 15

in order for this to work you need to know the surface (and be able to query it for elevation) AND know the location where the alignment would be so that you can query it and link at that point.

Not sure if this is what yo are looking for or not.

Message 6 of 15

Generic subassembly

LINK WIDTH AND SLOPE.

Place this in your assembly It would attach at the point that you want to project.

You can tell it a specific width and slope or you can get the width from a targeted alignment and the slope from a profile related to that alignment, or both from a 3d polyline that has been created on the surface you want to link to.

is this what you are thinking of?

Message 7 of 15

If I am way off base...............

Here is what you can do.

Go to the subassembly pallettes.

Click a subassembly with a left click then do a  Right Click navigate down to Help.

It will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about that specific subassembly.

Message 8 of 15
tcorey
in reply to: ashleystrand

@ashleystrand wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking.  That it might not work because of the whole circular reference thing. In that case, is there any way to get a link to go from the ground up to a certain point on an assembly?

Yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yxRDKSFerY

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 15
john.mckenzie
in reply to: tcorey

I click on your link and get this video is unavailable.

And here I thought ou were going to finally solve the chicken/egg question. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 15
tcorey
in reply to: john.mckenzie

Try it again. It must have still been uploading to YouTube when you tried before.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 11 of 15
john.mckenzie

nope nadda

Message 12 of 15
tcorey
in reply to: john.mckenzie

It works for me. Try copying the address and pasting into your browser or try another browser. Can someone else confirm the link works:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=12338355&siteID=123112

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 13 of 15
tcorey

Try one more time for me. I must have set the video to Private, but have gone to YouTube and edited it to be Public. Disregard the link in my most recent message as that points to Autodesk (I don't know where I even got that link!)

Use this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yxRDKSFerY

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 14 of 15
john.mckenzie

nice video. That is exactly what I was trying to describe in post 6

Message 15 of 15

I especially like the "don't jump yet the answer is coming I promise" musak in the background. Very soothing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report