Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table with lengths of polyline/3D polyline objects

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
matTech
5136 Views, 6 Replies

Table with lengths of polyline/3D polyline objects

I need to have a table that updates when I change the length of a polyline, These lines are split up into segments for different types of materials. We usually add this up manually but would like to find a solution that is a little more automated. 

I have mostly a background in GIS and have excellent knowledge of Autocad Map. I came up with a solution by creating a shapefile and making a multi-part feature for the segments. I added a table and connected to the .dbf file of the shapefile. I then calculate out the lengths of the line and update the attribution of the shapefile. Easy and took a few minutes to do.

I just want to know if there is a better way of doing this. I have did some searching and have found some informatino about alignment tables. I don't know much about Civil and would appreciate any suggestions.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: matTech

the DATAEXTRACTION wizard will handle this task nicely. Filter by layer and the acad table it creates will be dynamic to addition and deletions to those layers. You can even add conversion factors, unit prices and totals.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
AllenJessup

You can do arithmetic calculations in an Autocad Table and use Fields to get the lengths of the polylines. The fields will update when the lengths of the polylines change. You can also get other properties from objects. I often use the area of closed polylines, hatches or regions.

sum.PNG

field.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
matTech
in reply to: AllenJessup

How would this work with Mulit-part lines though? I want to do it by type of pipeline. It works with the shapefile because I can have 1 feature in multiparts. I can only use field for 1 object when I really need to know the length of probably 3+ objects added together.

Message 5 of 7
Neilw_05

Another tool you might want to consider is using a Link topology in Map. A Link Topology would allow you to apply GIS filtering and queries. I don't know whether you can generate dynamic tables though. Perhaps a post to the Map forum would provide better insight.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 7
AllenJessup

When you insert the field in the cell, select Formula. Then in the Formula pane rt-clk and select insert Field.

3z.png

This will allow you to insert multiple fields in the formula resulting in the calculation you want.

3x.PNG

This will give you the results of the formula in the cell.

3y.PNG

You can perform calculations with any numeric property. As mentioned, I often would use the area property. This helped in calculating impervious area.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AllenJessup

DE would do all that formulating based a a spacial or layer selection set.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report