Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-intersections & alignments

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
deltacoolguy
2670 Views, 20 Replies

T-intersections & alignments

T-intersections & alignments - Is there a better way...?

When making a T-intersection you have to have the alignment of the ending road start/end right at the intersection.  If there's extension the program automatically creates a full 4-way intersection.  I like to have my alignments start/end about 100' beyond the intersection for stationing purposes for staking & construction.

I tried having two alignments for the ending road, one for the corridor and one for reference for plan & staking purposes.  Didn't work.  The program referenced all three alignments and went ahead and made the 4-way intersection.

The only way I can think of working around this is to create, in a separate drawing, a reference-only alignment that extends as I need, then use that reference-only alignment for plan sheets, profiles, etc.

Is there a better way?  How do you work around this?

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21
Cadguru42
in reply to: deltacoolguy

@deltacoolguy wrote:

@wfberry wrote:

Tim:

I was going to say the same thing.  While you posted, I ran across this:

https://faculty.unlv.edu/jensen/CEE_301/pdf/AU2008/AU08-CV110-2L_Corridors_Ten-Easy-Steps.pdf

Bill

Looks interesting.  I never did the "old school" approach for intersections.  At first glance it looks longer, but after you factor in all the tweaking you have to do with the wizard, maybe it's not longer.

Where I work the intersection wizard is useless. We do mostly intersection upgrades and road widenings and the wizard cannot handle a single one we've ever done. It only works for nice, perfect crosses or T intersections. It never works when there's offsets of the alignments at the intersection, nor when there is another intersection close to it, nor when there are more than 4 alignments. 

We always have to do the intersections the "old" way and it's actually faster anyway once you know what you're doing.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report