Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System variables

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
930 Views, 3 Replies

System variables

I have an issue with the system variables in Autocad/Civil 3d version 2013.  On several occasions now since upgrading to 2013, I find that system variables that I never had reason to change, are changing on their own.  What is the reason for this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Anonymous

Many times a command may override system variables. If C3D crashes or if the command does not complete these system variables may not be set back and will appear to change on their own.

What variables are being reset on you?

Have you looked into placing these commands into an acad.lsp or acaddoc.lsp file so they always do get reset as you need?

There is a lot if info on this NG about the files I intentioned with examples that can be copied and pasted for your use. Help will get you running as well.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Good advice from John about putting your sysvars in acad.lsp so that you get exactly your settings every time.

And he asked an important question: What variables are changing? Many AutoCAD variables are saved per drawing so changing while in one drawing won't change them in another.

In case you're unfamiliar with LISP, here are a few examples of how to set system variables:

(setvar "OSMODE" 35)

(setvar "PICKFIRST" 1)

(setvar "GRIDMAJOR" 5)

I use all caps for sysvar names, but you don't have to any more. If my memory is correct (not likely!) you were required to use all caps in old (like R10) versions, so I just got in the habit. The quotations are required.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

The one variable that was changed for sure this time was the "pickfirst" system variable. Unsure what others have changed.
This pickfirst variable seemed to affect the way the "undo" and "delete" commands work, as well as double clicking text to edit them.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it from Hatch Mott MacDonald are confidential and intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report