Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing data shortcuts breaks reference to alignment in profile labels

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
kettledrum
3766 Views, 9 Replies

Synchronizing data shortcuts breaks reference to alignment in profile labels

I have some storm sewer alignments that I've put into profiles in C3D 2011.  The pipe network that I used to create the alignments from is a reference created from a data shortcut.   I've created profiles of these storm sewer alignments, and the station labels for the storm structures are displayed at question marks until I go into the structure properties for each structure and link it to the correct alignment.  

The problem is that whenever I synchronize my data shortcuts because someone has updated something, all of the links in each structure to the alignments disappears and I am back to ??? for my stations in the profiles and I have to go go fix it again.   I'm sure there is a better way.  Anyone have any ideas on how to keep this from breaking?

I do see this recent message http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Station-Label-update-problem/td-p/4401905  that appears to be a similar problem, but it was said in that thread that this problem was introduced with C3D 2012, but I am using C3D 2011.....

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: kettledrum

This is an issue that has been around since the dawn of Dref's. Changing the referenced alignment for a structure is not retained, although I certainly wish it would. What does work is to change the reference alignment in the label...select the lable, go to the properties palette, change it there.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 10
kettledrum
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks for your reply.  I tried doing as you said.  However, in the properties box for the structure profile label, the only choice I have for Reference Alignment is <default>, none of my alignments are showing up there.

Message 4 of 10
Jeff_M

CLick the little 'select' box on the right edge of the line where it says <default>. It's not obvious because the prompt is now on the command line to select the reference alignment on screen or you can hit Enter to select from a list.9-6-2013 9-49-55 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 10
kettledrum

Aha, that's it.  You're right, I ws missing the call back to the command line for input.  Thank you very much for your help!

Message 6 of 10
JesseMo

This helped with our issue in Civil 3D 2014, so thank you for sharing. 

To describe out situation, it was only happening in one drawing and only on one pipe alignment, the pipe labels would show up as "???" whenever the drawing is opened.  The unsuccessful fix we tried was to select the structure itself and change its properties by changing the reference alignment from "none" to the correct alignment.  However this did not help the next time the drawing is opened, it still showed up as "???".  But the solution (workaround) given here works.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10
mattwhite6085

for the information of the group, this issue still survives in Civil 3D 2017

Message 8 of 10
DRStandrich
in reply to: mattwhite6085

I have run into this issue using 2017 also.  I started to add the reference to the label but I found another glitch. I was having to do the same thing to the label in the profile view. Then the reason this did not work is because we have a band style that labels the station of the structure at the bottom of the profile.  This label remained ???  But I found that if I actually select the structure, right click and enter structure properties, and set the reference alignment and/or surface there, that it changes all the labels with the correct stationing.  I have saved the sheet drawing, exited, re-opened the drawing, and so far everything seems to be holding.  Anything else I need to watch for? This is only 1 alignment of 2 that is creating me problems because these were swapped and renamed after being paged out.  Synchronizing does not seem to help.

Thanks,

Daryl

Message 9 of 10
ryanJM8N2

We have a similar situation: We set up our files to have all alignments in one file > data reference that into a drainage and grading file > data reference that into a separate utility plan and profile file. This is where the storm structures are losing there Alignment references. We will have updated all data referenced alignments within the plan and profile file for each individual structure, but when the drawing is synchronized, it loses all references again and back to square one. We still have not figured out how to stop this. Hope i worded this ok to make sense. Thanks

Ryan

Message 10 of 10
cyyang1958

Hi,

I don't think this AutoCAD issue is fixed even you solved the label problem in the profile view use this method.

There are two other ways can temporary solve this problem:

1. Select all missing alignment pipes and all missing alignment structures one by one to fixed their references. Then all related labels will be fixed.
  2. Change the related alignments' name back to its old names. The label problem can temporary fixed too.

But the problem is, if you synchronize the pipe network again, you will get the Panorama prompts up bunch of "Reference alignment 'BraBraBra' not found in reference drawing".

And you will see some of pipes and structures in the network are go back missing condition again. Because some of the pipe network components still reference to their old alignments which are renamed in its source drawing.

The cause is AutoCAD can't correctly update the data shortcut between the pipe network and alignment rename activity.

Is anyone can provide a way to fixed this pipe network synchronization issue?

Thanks

Forrest Young

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report