Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNC Title Block to Sheet Set Manager

43 REPLIES 43
Message 1 of 44
Neilw_05
4749 Views, 43 Replies

SYNC Title Block to Sheet Set Manager

I'm not up to speed in configuring title blocks with sheet set manager and I've come into this situation unexpectedly.

I had to come up with a set of P&P sheets in a hurry to assist a contractor in providing a rough estimate for a sewer run, so I generated the sheets using the preconfigured imperial sheet set template. Afterwards I've switched out the border and title block generated by the template with our standard blocks. Our block attributes are old school and do not use fields. Now I am trying to upgrade those old attributes by replacing them with fields that reference the Sheet Set attributes.

Here is the problem: when inserting the field for the sheet number I can either use the CurrentSheetNumber or the SheetSetPlaceholder attribute. If I use CurrentSheetNumber, the title block shows the correct sheet number for the current sheet (the sheet I am making the edits from). However all the other sheets show that same number. In other words the fields do not show the corresponding sheet numbers from SSM. If I use SheetSetPlaceholder none of the title blocks will update to show the sheet number.

I believe I should be using the placeholder field but I can't get it to synchronize it with the SSM. Is there a way to make this work?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
43 REPLIES 43
Message 21 of 44
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: troma

Test result are false

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 22 of 44
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Test result are false

¿Smiley Indifferent?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 23 of 44
Joe-Bouza

Mtext didn't work in a block <G>

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 24 of 44
Jeff_M

You cannot edit Text/Mtext objects in a block without it affecting all insertions of that block, AutoCAD/SSM is no different. To have different text for multiple insertions of the same block we use Attributes.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 25 of 44
Hammer.john.j
in reply to: Neilw_05

You shouldn't need the fields as part of the block definition, thats redundant.... no?  I'd make everything NOT intended to be controlled by the sheetsetmanager in a block definition and everything else as mtext (or dtext).

i initially desired to have a block/xref for borders with everything in it and soon learned what you are now learning...  there's no need to have fields bound into a block :-)... but if you do it, as long as all the fields point the correct place you can explode a block and it'll adopt the attributes, that's pretty impossible to do with borders/sheets because a sheet typically has both field types SHEETSETCUSTOM and SHEETCUSTOM.... 

short answer, avoid fields in blocks you don't intend to explode Smiley Happy

EDIT:  we have a dwg file saved as dwt file with all the title block fields linked to a "blank" sheet set and use the dwt and the example sheet set to get desired results.... it is quite tricky though.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 26 of 44
Neilw_05
in reply to: Hammer.john.j

My border is a block and the text is a seperate block which is just the attributes for the sheet title block. By keeping the text in a block (vs. just text copied into each sheet) we can modify the text styles and move the text within the block as needed to accomodate unanticipated changes that may arise, and all the sheets update.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 27 of 44
Hammer.john.j
in reply to: Neilw_05

Ok well, that only works if all of your sheets are in 1 drawing.... unless you are trying to xref the info into multiple dwg files...  i guess if you have multiple sheets in 1 dwg file there is an advantage to using a block for this...

i can't help you with placeholder, i've never used it because i link directly to the ssm from dtext or mtext which is setup in our dwt file and linked to an example ssm.... anything not ssm driven is not a field and needs to be edited per sheet so why bother with fields and blocks....

anyways, your ok with everything except fields in the att block.... that just doesn't work in my experience.  I've not been able to update fields in a block because the field won't act independantly within the block...

now in this post http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/Fields-in-Block-Not-Updating/td-p/3609834  Volker says it works if the text objects are dtext...

you're still going need battman to fix the attributes text styles and whatnot.

Message 28 of 44
Joe-Bouza

I respectfully disagree with your assesment of SSM and block attributes. The intent of SSM is to control fields primarily in attributes as well as text objects.
You may wish to investigate the BlockPlaceHolder because in you own work flow you are manually assigning SSM fields directly to dtext or MTEXT, presumably to reference one sheet from another in a callout. See Detail <X> on draing <Y>, and View port titles and scale. The BPH is designed to do just that( ever wonder what the View tab is for? Keeps track of your plan callouts.). I suggest you get a hold of the White paper "Sheets Happen"

The use of SSM in Blocks and text is only limited by the users imagination.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 29 of 44
Hammer.john.j

LIke i said, i'm not familiar with placeholder.... don't typically need it but I'll take a look at it and thanks for the suggestion.

Our details are xref'd into sheet drawings and we use BMP with the 3 tier drawing approach (1 sheet per drawing) so we'd have to xref a border into our sheets to update all of the borders...

Message 30 of 44
Joe-Bouza

Sure thing.

I'm not sure I understand how/why your BMP approach to drawin composition effects the use of SSM? SSM doesn't care.
You use SSM, right?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 31 of 44
Hammer.john.j

http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_weblog/files/Sheets_Happen.pdf

sorry, yes we do use SSM, have since day 1 but we don't use fields in blocks often.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2014/ENU/index.html?url=filesCBP/GUID-394E4463-964C-4233-BC27-5ECB5B0...

best practices guide->project management->drawing and object relationships->level 3 production sheets

essentially everything is an xref accept the border, and we only create 1 sheet per cad drawing.  so each construction plan has it's own sheet instead of 35 construction plans in 1 cad file... therefore, having the border as a block is useless really, it would have to be an xref to be effective at changing 1 thing in the border on all sheets at once.... 

"

Let’s assume you are working on a plan and profile sheet. First, create a new drawing, name it, and save it to your working folder. Then, externally reference the appropriate Level 2 drawings, such as base linework, base utility, and base topology. When you create a Level 3 drawing, the Level 2 object data and label styles are display-only. However, you can use Layer Manager to selectively hide and display layers within the Level 2 data.

If you use Vault, be sure to use the option Include All File Dependencies when you check in the plan set drawing. This ensures that all associated file dependencies are copied to their working folders when other team members check out the plan set drawing.

You typically use a plan set drawing with Sheet Set Manager (SSM) in AutoCAD Civil 3D. To create individual sheets in SSM, you create AutoCAD views within your plan set drawings. For more information about SSM, refer to the online help in AutoCAD Civil 3D."

Message 32 of 44
Neilw_05

Most of our projects are small site grading plans so we can get by with all the sheets in one file. When we get into larger projects or cases where the plans need to be broken out into subsets (i.e. grading, utilities, etc.) then we'll XREF the border. That is why we have the title block attributes in a seperate block vs. the border. Thus we can make global edits to all the sheets by editing the border XREF and global edits within each subset by editing the attribute block.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 33 of 44
Joe-Bouza

Very common practice.

All that gobaltgook about levels vault yadayad is great to know and does not sound all that different than xrefing my data set. That includes my title block

If I may ask how exactly do you use SSM in your work flow for filling out sheet info? And when do you insert field directly from SSM? I ask because I think we are talking about the same thing and this "TitleBlock" talk is confusing the discussion.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 34 of 44
Hammer.john.j

we have a template for non-sheet drawings

and a template for sheet drawings.

the sheet drawing has fields in dtext and mtext that are linked to an example sheet set.

we create a new drawing from the non-sheet template

then import the layout tab from the SHEET template.

When you add the TAB/SHEET to the SSM all of the fields link correctly to the SSM made from the Example SSM.

We don't need blocks for our borders... because changing the border requires approval at the highest level, because that is a part of (edited out YOUR BRAND for OUR BRAND) our brand.

Message 35 of 44
Joe-Bouza

Yes, as I thought - we are not proposing to insert the "Border Frame in as a block, only the fields. You see the "block" is not the border frame but a collection of attributes that are inserted in the layout, or resides in the template layout for pulling in - same as you. And the benifit of the attributes are many. And not to say yours is wrong - its not. with the attributes the block can be made dynamic to fit any size or client specific border that gets xrefed in instead of having several layout templates. Only a matter of preference but the big difference is with the attributes if you had to extract information from the border for another document it can be done with dtext not as easy.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 36 of 44
mgalicki

Might one of you be able to figure out my issue?

I have made a sheet set that I use, BUT when I add a sheet or save an existing sheet with a new name and edit the fields thru the SSM, It doesn't take? I have to edit the fields in the drawing by right clicking the field, pick edit field & then point to the correct file in the field editor box. Why don't my fields update after I edit from right clicking the file in the SSM? This is also true when I add a new sheet, which is the template I created to use for this purpose.
The only thing that works correctly are the fields, drawing file name & the fields that are Sheet Set controlled. Not my custom fields which are sheet specific?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

Everything in existence was first an Idea
Autodesk Plant 3D Premium 2019
Autodesk MEP 2019
HP 3.2 Ghz CPU 16 ram
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s hard drive
2GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680ti
HP 2311x 23" LED Monitor
Message 37 of 44
tscheevel

Might you be referring to callout blocks? If so, I have no experience with them, but the following might help:

http://www.allaboutacad.com/downloads/Automating_Views.pdf

Message 38 of 44
mgalicki

No, But thanks for the inquire.

Everything in existence was first an Idea
Autodesk Plant 3D Premium 2019
Autodesk MEP 2019
HP 3.2 Ghz CPU 16 ram
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s hard drive
2GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680ti
HP 2311x 23" LED Monitor
Message 39 of 44
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mgalicki

Send me your sheet file and dst file.

jbouza<at>cameronengineering<dot><com>

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 40 of 44
doni49

Take a look at the attached files. 

The title block is inserted as a block.  All the fields are in ATTRIBUTES.  The attributes are setup (in the block editor) with the Default Value being the field.

P.S. You will need to change the sheet properties so that it can find the dwg file in its new location.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report