Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to model space hangs civil 3d 2012

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
shaneelliss
12593 Views, 28 Replies

Switching to model space hangs civil 3d 2012

So I got a sweet new computer and now I am having some troubles with Civil 3d.  I went from a 32-bit windows XP machine wtih 4 gigs of ram and a dual core 2.8 GHz processor with an older radeon graphics card to a 64-bit windows 7 machine with 16 gigs of ram, core i7-2600 (3.4 GHz) quad core processor, and an nvidia quadro 4000 2GB graphics card and I thought my life would be easy.  But apparently great hardware will not solve all of my software issues.

When I try to switch to model space from paper space in C3D 2012 (sp1) it hangs for maybe 5 minutes before finally switching over. I have only worked on two drawings with the new machine, but it does it on both.  And not everytime, just half the time in one drawing and most of the time in the other.  Anyone have any ideas?

Tags (1)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
machadt
in reply to: jbarsic

Please go to Option -> System tab -> and under Layout Regen options select Cache model tab and all layouts (Apply and OK).

In some cases this can be drawing specific, please check that as well.

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 22 of 29
jbarsic
in reply to: machadt

also LAYOUTGENCTL 2, correct?  Cuts me down to a 6-7 second lag before cursor responds again.  Little irritating but useable and hopefully when I get our RAM issue resolved it will speed up a little. 

Still curious about some BIOS settings so I guess I'll start another thread and hopefully someone can jump in.

Thnx

John

Message 23 of 29
machadt
in reply to: jbarsic

Yes, keep the LAYOUTREGENCTL set as 2....

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 24 of 29
gte959s

Did this solve the problem? If not, did you find a solution?

Message 25 of 29
jbarsic

With the latest updates from AutoDesk for Civil 3D 2012 and the ATI FirePro AutoCAD Maximum Driver our machines are useable, not mind blowing fast but a whole lot better.  All computers and our templates are set to cache model and layouts for regeneration, it helps immensly once all the tabs are cached.  

Message 26 of 29
volusiajim

That did it for me.  Now I need to figure how it changed all by it's little lonesome.Smiley LOL

Message 27 of 29
depinkley

Thanks for the info!  This was driving me nuts!!  Cudos!

Message 28 of 29
eengnol

Thank you so much! This just saved me several  hours of frustration.

Message 29 of 29
dsilbernagel
in reply to: eengnol

I was having the same issue with a drawing in 2015 and 2016 versions and this helped.  Saved me a lot of time! Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report