Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep paths for vehicles

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
bensonburleson1782
1933 Views, 24 Replies

Sweep paths for vehicles

I find it absurd that AutoCad C3D doesn't have a vehicle sweep routine built in to the design software. This is as basic to roadway design as superelevation is to horizontal curvature. Am I missing something? Is it there, or is there some reason it is not there? Very frustrating.

Buying third party software such as AutoTurn or Pathplanner R4 seems ridiculous.

Tags (1)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
tcorey
in reply to: bensonburleson1782

It's not there. You need a third-party program.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 25
sboon

I would bet that the number of Civil3d users who need this feature is actually in the minority, and that the number of users who need it often enough to require a full time license is very small.  If Autodesk were to include this feature in the base software then a lot of people are paying for something they wouldn't use.

We have several network licenses for AutoTurn, and our IT department has it set up so that any C3D user can use the software if a license is available.  The cost of doing it this way is significantly less than it would be if it were inside of Civil3d.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 25
tcorey
in reply to: sboon

Well put, Steve.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 25
bensonburleson1782

Dually noted.... however; there are quite a few routines that I, as a user, will never need as well in C3D. The roundabout design feature being a big one and the rail feature another. I do understand that this product is used in a multitude of disiplines, but if you are going to roll out a design software that is used to design roadways, it seems that sweep paths are a necessary item. And I can't believe that it would blot the cost of a seat. Not like the 3000+ dollars for a single seat of Autoturn, plus a 700 buck annual maintenance fee.......

Thanks for your insight into my question.

Message 6 of 25
Neilw_05

I would have to agree with the OP. C3D is as much a site design tool as a road design tool and site designers very much need to evaluate turn paths. We could get by with a basic 2D tool in most cases, so we would not need to have all the capabilities (and cost) of AutoTurn. I think a simple tool could be provided for a minimal, if any, increase in  cost.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 25
sboon

@bensonburleson1782 wrote:

Dually noted.... however; there are quite a few routines that I, as a user, will never need as well in C3D. The roundabout design feature being a big one and the rail feature another. I do understand that this product is used in a multitude of disiplines, but if you are going to roll out a design software that is used to design roadways, it seems that sweep paths are a necessary item. And I can't believe that it would blot the cost of a seat. Not like the 3000+ dollars for a single seat of Autoturn, plus a 700 buck annual maintenance fee.......

Thanks for your insight into my question.

This has always been the big problem for Autodesk - picking through all of the stuff that encompasses Civil work (survey, hydrology, roads, etc) and deciding what functions have enough user demand to cover the cost of putting them in Civil 3d, or offering them as add-ons with extra cost, or leaving them to the 3rd party market.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 25
tcorey

Autodesk Exchange had a turn radius tool for free at one point. I can't find it now. Anyone know about this?

AutoTurn is 3 grand? I had no idea. And people complain about the cost of Civil 3D. Compare what one does for three grand vs. the other for seven and it makes Civil 3D look like a steal.

Maybe if we ask real nice we can get Jeff_M to come out with an AutoTurn knock-off for a few hundred. Jeff?

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 9 of 25

By the way, anyone who has Microstation can get a free turn path tool here: http://www.glamsen.se/MSTurn.htm.

Perhaps there is something similar for Autocad out there.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 25
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

I just discovered there is a free version for Autocad as well: http://www.glamsen.se/CadTools.htm

Problem solved?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 25
troma

I tested this one once:
http://hawsedc.com/gnu/turn.php
But I didn't get very far with it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 12 of 25
bensonburleson1782
in reply to: tcorey

Actually, $3,800.00. I didn't have my facts straight. Sorry

[Publication1]
Message 13 of 25
Joe-Bouza

Oooh Major thanks, Neil. I love free stuff <G>

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 25

Transoft, makers of AutoTurn, is an Autodesk Partner. Autodesk doesn't put their partners out of bushiness. They only try to do that to the competition. That's why you'll never see certain functions that were developed and are being sold by a Partner in any Autodesk software and why a Partner will never develop tools that directly compete with certain parts of Autodesk software.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 25
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I'm a big fan of AutoTrack by Savoy but I got to agree w/ Joe. Free stuff is always nice. Kudos Neil. Literally. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 25
dasindog

I haven't been able to get the Cadtools utility to work. I use the turn.lsp very often and although it is "clunky" it gets the job done. I am goin to try again to get Cadtools working. Thanks for the reminder about this.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 17 of 25
Neilw_05
in reply to: dasindog

What is the problem you are having with CadTools? Mine work fine.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 18 of 25
dasindog

Once installed I start Civil 3D, run cadtools as admin. When I try to execute any of the cadtools commands it reports there is no instance of CAD running. 

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
Message 19 of 25

Check what version of cad Cadtools is looking for in the settings. Mine did the same until I pointed to the right version

[Publication1]
Message 20 of 25

Yeah, I checked that. Using 2013 and that's what it's looking for. Even tried typing the version in manually with no luck.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report