Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surveying Issue with dimensions and distances - AutoCAD Civil 3D

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Brandon1865
1187 Views, 25 Replies

Surveying Issue with dimensions and distances - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Hi there.  First off I'd like to say that I'm in the land surveying field, so I'm new to the layout of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013.  Previously I have used AutoCAD Land Desktop.

I work primarily in 2d space and have set up my templates and settings to reflect those I used in Land Desktop.  Working on a few drawings today, I noticed when I went to dimension a building to the boundary line, the perpendicular command would become skewed and snap to a point far down the line.  When pulling the lengths with the distance command, the same thing would happen.  When I pulled the lengths and checked my math, I noticed the dimensions were utilizing delta-z dimensions rather than the delta-x or delta-y.

I know these two are related and I have searched the web for an answer, but I couldn't find anything related to surveying.  Thank you in advance for any help.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Brandon1865
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I don't have it on there since it is incorrect.  I have been having to do a combo of linework and the NEA snap to get as close to perpendicular as I can.

Message 22 of 26
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Brandon1865

Give me a start and end point.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 23 of 26
Brandon1865

I apologize.  For reference I was dimensioning Point 43 (Brick Column) and pulling a dimension perpendicular to the purple line.

Message 24 of 26
jmayo-EE

Ok point num 43 is off the parcel and it has a desc of CHK. I do not see any point marked as a brick column and I see only magenta lines and arcs.

Note that your prop lines all have varying Z values as do your points and blocks. Acad snaps perpindicular in 3 dimensions so if your start and end points do not have the same Z value the perpindiclar will not be correct for plan measurements.

The best way to get a perpindicular to your prop lines is to FLATTEN the prop lines to elv zero and set osnapz to 1.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 25 of 26
Brandon1865

Huh, that's strange.  AutoCAD is at it again!  haha

Thank you for letting me know that.  I'm not used to the z-axis being an active part of dimensioning, so I was clueless as to how to fix it.  I will try the FLATTEN command and setting OSNAPZ to 1.  I will let you know here shortly.  Thanks for your patience.

Brandon

Message 26 of 26
Brandon1865

Alright, everything is working perfect now!  Thank you guys for your help, really got me out of a hole on this one.

Brandon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report