Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Points from an XML file in C3D 2012.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
C3D_User
1424 Views, 7 Replies

Survey Points from an XML file in C3D 2012.

Good afternoon all...

I am trying to utilize Trimble's ability to export Points to an XML file.   The XML file contains some additional Attribute data.  I have created the new Point UDP's and also Created a new Point File Format.  Here lies the Problem, when I go to the Insert Tab in the Ribbon and pick import from XML.  It gives me no choices to select a Point File Format?  It just imports the file with just PNEZD data only, and not my additional Attributes.  Can anyone sheds aome light on this one?  

Thanks in advance,

K

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: C3D_User

C3D's XML Import is hard coded, therefor you can't specify to bring in the other data this way. The only way I know to do this, is to convert the XML file to a typical PNEZD (with UDPs) and import that. And the only way that I'm aware of to do that is via some custom programming/script writing. Shoot me an email with a portion of the XML and I'll see what I might have in my bag-o-stuff that can help you out.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 8
nmessina

I am hoping in the future that Land XML will evolve more among the survey data collection companies. Currently, Civil 3D has the ability to import/export "Survey LandXML" that contains the RAW observations i.e. angles and distances observed in the field. Unfortunately, Trimble TDS only exports XML as coordinates only.
Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 4 of 8
C3D_User
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff....thanks for responding it seems that you are right, had to convert the file to ASCI, then I could bring in the additional data, bummer.  I will also send you XML file for investigation.  Its typical of what TBC (Trimble Business Center) would spit out.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 8
Sinc

TBC provides additional support that is NOT availalbe in C3D...

For example, you can use a TSC3 to take geo-referenced pictures that are tied to individual points, then see those in TBC.  We STILL can't do this in C3D.

Maybe someday, if Autodesk finally gets "with it" as far as Survey is concerned...

Sinc
Message 6 of 8
nmessina

Autodesk has never focused on Surveyors which explains why land desktop 2009 is virtually unchanged since it bought out softdesk. Civil 3d is focus for engineers, however a great engineer design must start with a great survey. Their needs to be more interaction with surveyor when writing civil 3d upgrades.

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 7 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: nmessina

I agree whole-heartedly.  We do as much as we can with our Sincpac-C3D add-on (which we feel does an AWFUL LOT), but there are still areas that leave us VERY frustrated.

To be clear:  Despite all my complaints, I don't think I can do as much, as quickly, in ANY other software program.  But we DO get frustrated with the complete lack of understanding for Survey that Autodesk seems to exhibit, year after year.  Because I agree, good Engineering starts with good Survey.  You can't do good Engineering otherwise.  Google Earth imports don't cut it (and even those are no longer available in C3D 2013, even if you have Google Earth Pro).

Sinc
Message 8 of 8
blaisg

I think you can import additional LandXML attributes if you use the survey databases “Import Survey LandXML” command, but for best results you’ll want to define any custom properties in the database before the import.  If you don’t all the properties will come through as strings instead of distance, angle, area and so forth.  Once you import the points into the survey database you can add the points to one or more drawings and it will replicate the additional attribute definitions and data into the drawing.  

The survey database likes to be the source of attribute definitions so If you have a fixed set you’d like to use everywhere, it’s best to create them in a survey database first and they push them into your favorite DWT to ensure the attributes are defined consistently everywhere.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report