Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Point Extended Data

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Cadguru42
1672 Views, 6 Replies

Survey Point Extended Data

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find something similar to what I'm asking.  I am wondering if it's possible to have a point code automatically add data to a user-defined field either in the survey database or in a drawing.  For instance, our surveyors currently will code a catch basin as CB INV2.2 if it has an invert depth of 2.2'.  I have a survey point user-defined property called InvertDepth.  Is it possible to get the survey database to automatically add 2.2 to that user-defined property or does that have to be manually input?  I have an expression and a label style that will take the elevation shot and subtract the depth number to give me the invert elevation on a lable, but I'd like to see if this can be done automatically without having to manually type in the depth on every point that is a catch basin or other inlet.

I've looked into the description key-set's parameters, but they seem to be mostly for display purposes and writing a full description.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mfernandes
in reply to: Cadguru42

Unless I am over simplifying it or not understand your question, does this tutorial help

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCTU/GUID-6F9EFF4C-4D8F-478B-A246-3FCC3B14230-25.htm

if I misunderstood,

what does your survey file look like

PNEZD where D = CB -2.2

and what do you want shown in C3D ?

i.e.description = Z - 2.2 ?

Message 3 of 7
Cadguru42
in reply to: mfernandes

@mfernandes wrote:

Unless I am over simplifying it or not understand your question, does this tutorial help

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCTU/GUID-6F9EFF4C-4D8F-478B-A246-3FCC3B14230-25.htm

if I misunderstood,

what does your survey file look like

PNEZD where D = CB -2.2

and what do you want shown in C3D ?

i.e.description = Z - 2.2 ?

That's part of what I'm wanting, but not the question I have.  I have a user defined survey point property called Invert Depth.  Our point code for a catch basin looks like CB INV2.2 for a catch basin with a depth of -2.2'.  I want the value 2.2 to be added to my user defined property of Invert Depth without having to manually add it.  I cannot find a way to do this without having to individually add the value to each point, which can be extremely time consuming for a project with thousands of points.  I was hoping there was a way using parameters to get the value after CB to be automatically populated to the user defined property of Invert Depth.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 7
ctbailey
in reply to: Cadguru42

There is no direct, automatic way to feed a Survey Database with this kind of information, except when the points are being added as a point file.   FBK we're out of luck.

So,  some pre-requisites are needed for this to happen, and a possible change in the import procedure.   (going to Point File import of at least the Catch Basin points.)

1. Add a new point file format to the drawing that will accept the UDP field.

For Example:  P,N,E,Z,D,Invert   save as a text file.

2. The extended properties of the Survey Database needs to contain an additional "Survey User-Defined" point definition:  "Invert"  for example.  Export the Extended def file, and point Survey to use this when creating a new DB.

3. The Survey database will need to be created with this Extended Properties file.

4. insert the points into a Civil3D drawing. 

5. Delete the points.  We are trying to capture the COGO User Defined Point in the points -> Survey User-Defined classification. 

6. create the expression you want to calculate:  {Point Elevation}-Point.Invert     Name this InvertElevation

The "Point.Invert" is actually calling back to the "Survey User-Defined" classification.

7. Create the label that utilizes the Expression.  (For example:  Rim: {Point Elevation},  Invert: {InvertElevation})

8.  Save the drawing as a template.

This is not a flexible process at all, and if there is more inverts coming in, you'll need to improve the point file format.

Craig

_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 5 of 7
thigbie
in reply to: ctbailey

I'd like to see this become more a function of the data collection process. 

There needs to be a way to go to certain points in a data collection file (even after all the points are shot) and then pull up any point numbered structure and input all the structure data into a database that's attached to the data collector file.  This would include things like type of structure, pipes, direction-size-measure down, condition and notes.  Then allow us to later use all the data in a table on our drawings, or place structure data at each point, or just have extended point data in the drawing.

Message 6 of 7
Cadguru42

@ctbailey wrote:

There is no direct, automatic way to feed a Survey Database with this kind of information, except when the points are being added as a point file.   FBK we're out of luck.

So,  some pre-requisites are needed for this to happen, and a possible change in the import procedure.   (going to Point File import of at least the Catch Basin points.)

1. Add a new point file format to the drawing that will accept the UDP field.

For Example:  P,N,E,Z,D,Invert   save as a text file.

2. The extended properties of the Survey Database needs to contain an additional "Survey User-Defined" point definition:  "Invert"  for example.  Export the Extended def file, and point Survey to use this when creating a new DB.

3. The Survey database will need to be created with this Extended Properties file.

4. insert the points into a Civil3D drawing. 

5. Delete the points.  We are trying to capture the COGO User Defined Point in the points -> Survey User-Defined classification. 

6. create the expression you want to calculate:  {Point Elevation}-Point.Invert     Name this InvertElevation

The "Point.Invert" is actually calling back to the "Survey User-Defined" classification.

7. Create the label that utilizes the Expression.  (For example:  Rim: {Point Elevation},  Invert: {InvertElevation})

8.  Save the drawing as a template.

This is not a flexible process at all, and if there is more inverts coming in, you'll need to improve the point file format.

Craig

Thank you for the reply.  I'll give that a try sometime this week when I get time.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 7
IanMcClain

In the future will we seen any more flexibility for this process? The figure codes and description key are able to parse based on space delimiters. It would be nice if there was some way to populate UDP similar to that. It might allow for fbk files to work. ::fingers crossed::

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report