AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

RKeiner
Message 11 of 16 (471 Views)

Re: Survey Point Database

03-09-2012 12:11 PM in reply to: sturner7277

Sinc,

While I'm in FULL agreement that the Survey Database is a flawed system that leaves MUCH to be desired, I'm having a hard time making the jump away from .fbk files.  

For our GPS data, we already dump .csv files, and about 90% of our work is GPS, so its getting to be more and more of a moot point, however I just cant get away from wanting the raw measurements from the Total Station.

I guess its mostly one of those "we've always done it this way" things, wanting the raw measurements recorded so that you can track down any issues that arise later, and see the methodology that was followed along the way...  I guess one could argue that the raw measurements that we were used to in the past are no longer collected in the same manner.  Since everything gets measured in meters and radians, and viewing an Angle Right and Slope Distance in Feet is already introducing some level of conversion, so why not make the jump to dumping a .csv file? 

Of course I'm writing this at the same time as I'm trying to generate a custom .frt file to export a slightly tweaked .fbk file from our new Total Stations that will generate linework the same way we used to when using TDS...   So the more frustrated I get trying to generate that file, the more I'm leaning towards doing away with the .fbk files!

Thanks for your insight and assistance on the survey side of Civil3D!

Bob K.

Anchorage, AK

*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 12 of 16 (457 Views)

03-09-2012 04:36 PM in reply to: RKeiner

I understand.

There are some key areas where we want to see the raw data from within a DWG (since Autodesk has decided that that's their [limited] RDBMS system).  Everyone wants to share DWG.  External RDBMS systems add complexity to sharing data.

That's where we are, even if it's not where I wish we were.

There are times when we want to know certain information inside our C3D DWG, such as what shots come from which control points, and what the rod hight was, etc.  And the SDB tends to support that information.  But we also need to be able to graphically edit information, and the SDB does not allow that.  So we're in a "quagmire"...

Sinc
mmiccio
Message 13 of 16 (257 Views)

07-29-2013 06:26 AM in reply to: Sinc

An old posting but seems to hit a nail.

How does one dump a RAW file into a CSV file and does it contain notes the field crew logged?

Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 14 of 16 (242 Views)

07-29-2013 08:42 AM in reply to: mmiccio

To convert RAW to CSV you'll need to use Survey Link, this will not provide any notes the field crew logged in. To do that you'll need to convert the RAW to FBK utilizing the same program. Surveylink.png

C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb
mmiccio
Message 15 of 16 (213 Views)

07-31-2013 04:25 AM in reply to: rl_jackson
Will the CSV data file contain the information needed to adjust traverse networks?
Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 16 of 16 (199 Views)

07-31-2013 12:07 PM in reply to: mmiccio
No, only FBK files give you that ability
C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.