Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Point Database

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
sturner7277
4479 Views, 15 Replies

Survey Point Database

i have read all the posts (i think) on this and still have a question.

how are you or your company managing points as in field shots, storage, dulplicate point numbers?

are you using vault?

are you using the point database?

are you using one drawing file to import and store the points?

what we are doing now is using the point database as a storage location but it fails for notification on when a point # is duplicated.

surveys has a drawing file they use to import, store and build the existing ground surface from the points. this allows the notification of when a  point  number is duplicated. but it is not as secure or flexable as the old LDD way.

we don't use field books just text files from the collectors imported in.

Vault is not an option for us. (at this time)

so what i am looking for is how others are adapting to this change, and what worked or not.

thanks

-Sean
------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a CAD Manager for a Civil Engineering firm...
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
rfg018
in reply to: sturner7277

First I do not like how Civil 3D handle point.

I think Autodesk wants us to use the points as an entity, not as data as in LDD.

My procedure is a follows:

1.  Complile point as CSV.

2.  Import point each comple/day in a drawing.  This is my backup reference.

3. add points to the survey database.

4. Import from survey database to working drawing.

5. use description keys to change the style of points.

6. I sort the points base on description and place them on different layers.

in final drawings I use point for lable spot elevations, and same points for Construction stakeing.

we are not a point that we can export the 3d line work for staking.

I'm also open to change.

Message 3 of 16
KirkNoonan

We are using the point database (2011). I've never had any problems with not being notified of duplicate point numbers. Actually, it happens a lot more than I would like. The import events have turned out to be a useful feature for us since they can keep track of original point numbers and any renumbering that goes on.

We use the database to share points between the survey and engineering departments because it allows for great flexibility in point display for different uses. We also use the database to store many point attributes that LDD wouldn't allow us to store. That eliminates searching the fieldbook files or notes for information about monuments or pipes, etc.

Message 4 of 16
sturner7277
in reply to: KirkNoonan

thats good to know thay have made improvements to it. with 2009 if numbers are duplicated and added to the database the duplicate is ignored without a warning.

-Sean
Message 5 of 16

We use the survey database to bring in all our field data. For Topo’s , the crews download the job files along with a CSV file. We use stringer connect to create a fieldbook file (FBK) and import though the Survey Database. This takes care of the description keys and the line work.

We are thinking about switching over from using the FBK’s to just the CSV. To do this we need to start using the line work code sets. Not that big of a deal in the office, but the crews need to learn the new coding procedure. Hate to go through another learning curve, but it would be more efficient overall. Using the survey database for Traversing is another subject. No so friendly.

C3D does a good job of notifying of duplicate points. You can change the settings on how it handles duplicate points though the Point creation Tools under Point Identity. To help avoiding duplicate points we came up with a point numbering system with specific ranges. Traverse, Topo, Comp, and even gave civil’s a point range.  Our civil’s do not use the database.  They have their range of points and they are creating them in their drawings.

We save all our survey point files with the project. If you have all your survey databases in one place, then you can put your point files in that Database directory.

C3D 2011

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 16

well it's good to know we are not too far off.

i played around with 2012 point database and must say it is a whole lot better.

we do not use the automated linework, but i've been slowly pushing for us to go that wat. think it will be a great time saver for the office guys.

-Sean
Message 7 of 16
Sinc

This post stands a good chance of triggering my "Project Rant" again, so I'll stop here...

(C3D has practicaly no concept of what a "Project" is, and Autodesk has confused Project Management with Model Data management and Document Management, turning the whole thing into a mess.)

Sinc
Message 8 of 16
sturner7277
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

This post stands a good chance of triggering my "Project Rant" again, so I'll stop here...

Don't need any rants! Smiley Happy

i respect your opinion Sinc and have our indoor surveyors trying out your product. so i was hoping you might chime in. 🙂

i agree that the whole thing is muddied pretty good. but i just want to be fairly certin the path we are forging is going the right direction. (or at least within a stones throw)

i would like to have our company using the linework function in the very near future. so is converting RW5 to field books better  or keep using txt files. which is more efficent and keeps/improves accuracy.

we are starting to look at Carlson but there is another learning curve. will that product be compatable with the Trimble and Topcon equipment.

placing the survey database files in the project dir works for us. i just need IT to change the permissions

so the engineers can't mess with the points!

-Sean
Message 9 of 16

I have followed the discussions on the survey database and I agree with Sinc. I look at it like dealing with a difficult public agency, whether you like it or not, that’s the way it is and we deal with it best we can. I will say it has improved our productivity on topo’s. Using the survey database with the transformation tab has its powers too.

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 16
Sinc

Through years of experience with C3D, I still find the SDB to be a huge waste of time.  I recorded a brief demo of some of the techniques I use on our website, if you haven't watched it already:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/videos/ProcessingSurveyData.aspx

There are more techniques not shown in that video...  I'll have to create some more, when I get a chance.  Right now, we're pretty busy with the new Sincpac-C3D v2.20 release (hopefully posted later today, or at least sometime this weekend), as well as a new mostly-.NET v3.0 release for 2013 that we're trying to get working.

But in general, we've reached the point where we'd rather work with .csv (or .txt, if you prefer) over FBK.

As far as the Transformation Tab goes, I'm not a fan.  But I realize it has value when dealing with "old-style" setups.  For example, we're now using it to equate some old "plant coordinates" for a Power Plant with State Plane.  But again, it leaves a lot to be desired, since Map cannot use the Transformation Tab.  That creates lots of problems when trying to include aerial photos, GIS data, etc.  So if at all possible, I try to avoid the Tranformation Tab at all costs.  I view it as a "last resort".

Sinc
Message 11 of 16
RKeiner

Sinc,

While I'm in FULL agreement that the Survey Database is a flawed system that leaves MUCH to be desired, I'm having a hard time making the jump away from .fbk files.  

For our GPS data, we already dump .csv files, and about 90% of our work is GPS, so its getting to be more and more of a moot point, however I just cant get away from wanting the raw measurements from the Total Station.

I guess its mostly one of those "we've always done it this way" things, wanting the raw measurements recorded so that you can track down any issues that arise later, and see the methodology that was followed along the way...  I guess one could argue that the raw measurements that we were used to in the past are no longer collected in the same manner.  Since everything gets measured in meters and radians, and viewing an Angle Right and Slope Distance in Feet is already introducing some level of conversion, so why not make the jump to dumping a .csv file? 

Of course I'm writing this at the same time as I'm trying to generate a custom .frt file to export a slightly tweaked .fbk file from our new Total Stations that will generate linework the same way we used to when using TDS...   So the more frustrated I get trying to generate that file, the more I'm leaning towards doing away with the .fbk files!

Thanks for your insight and assistance on the survey side of Civil3D!

Bob K.

Anchorage, AK

Message 12 of 16
Sinc
in reply to: RKeiner

I understand.

There are some key areas where we want to see the raw data from within a DWG (since Autodesk has decided that that's their [limited] RDBMS system).  Everyone wants to share DWG.  External RDBMS systems add complexity to sharing data.

That's where we are, even if it's not where I wish we were.

There are times when we want to know certain information inside our C3D DWG, such as what shots come from which control points, and what the rod hight was, etc.  And the SDB tends to support that information.  But we also need to be able to graphically edit information, and the SDB does not allow that.  So we're in a "quagmire"...

Sinc
Message 13 of 16
mmiccio
in reply to: Sinc

An old posting but seems to hit a nail.

How does one dump a RAW file into a CSV file and does it contain notes the field crew logged?

Message 14 of 16
rl_jackson
in reply to: mmiccio

To convert RAW to CSV you'll need to use Survey Link, this will not provide any notes the field crew logged in. To do that you'll need to convert the RAW to FBK utilizing the same program. Surveylink.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
mmiccio
in reply to: rl_jackson

Will the CSV data file contain the information needed to adjust traverse networks?
Message 16 of 16
rl_jackson
in reply to: mmiccio

No, only FBK files give you that ability

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report