Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Figure

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
_Hathaway
873 Views, 7 Replies

Survey Figure

I am completely confused (this is not an uncommon state for me when dealing with Civil 3d).  For some reason I cannot get a figure to be drawn with the EC description.

We run EG, EA, ED codes with linework all day long but when we code a point with the EC code we do not get any linework.  I've tried deleting all EC references from the description key set, figure prefix and figure styles and copying one of the similar functioning codes mentioned above but still nothing.  The points come in properly there is no linework attached to them.

Forgot to mentiong that we are importing .csv files with linework coding. 

The odd thing is that if I change the code to EC1 we get linework, this makes no sense to me.  Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: _Hathaway

Most likely in your Linework Code Set you have EC set as End Curve

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 8
blaisg
in reply to: BrianHailey

Another common convention for Begin Curve / End Curve field coding is 'PC' and 'PT'.  Survey linework is simply looking at EC in this case as an End Curve command.  Making it EC1 differentiates your figure name because it's not an exact match to the command.

Message 4 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: blaisg

I would not suggest replacing BC/EC with PC/PT.  PC/PT implies a single curve.  By contrast, you can use BC to start a curve, and then collect a continuous curve figure (with compound/reverse curves embedded), then use EC only at the end of the whole set of curves.  PC/PT does not make sense in this usage.

Sinc
Message 5 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: blaisg

Also, you would not use a suffix on a linework command.  In other words, it would make no sense to use "EC1".  The suffix should be on your point/figure code, not on your linework command.

For example, if I want to use EOC as an "Edge of Concrete" linework/figure code, I would setup EOC* in my Description Keys, as well as EOC in my Figure Prefix database.  Then I might code consecutive points with raw descriptions like this:

EOC1 B BC

EOC1

EOC1

EOC1

EOC1 EC

Sinc
Message 6 of 8
_Hathaway
in reply to: Sinc

We find curves more effort than they are worth as they never seem to be really needed in our work and they seldom work out as intended.  We just take a few more shots along curved features..  It ends up as straight line segments in our data but it works for us just fine.

Message 7 of 8
blaisg

Sorry for the confusion.  I didn’t mean to say he should change the command EC to EC1.  I was simply trying to explain why it worked when he changed his feature name to EC1 it became clear that it was in fact the feature name and not the end curve command.

I see your point about using BC/EC over PC/PT.  I’m not sure how other products differentiate different types of curve connectivity, but I can say that Civil3D 2012 and 2013 are pretty flexible with what they will accept for curve coding, and if you are taking extra shots along a curve using the BC at the start and EC at the end is a great way to get a nice result.  

Here are the curve fits currently supported in Civil3D 2012 and 2013

1 Point tangent out

TOC B OC

TOC

TOC E

1 Point tangent in

TOC B

TOC

TOC OC E

1 Point bullnose tangent in and out

TOC B

TOC

TOC OC

TOC

TOC E

2 Point tangent in and out

TOC B                   or            TOC B

TOC BC                                TOC OC

TOC EC                                TOC OC

TOC E                                   TOC E

3 Point

TOC B BC              or            TOC B OC

TOC                                      TOC OC

TOC EC E                              TOC OC E

And Multipoint (multi-arc) which is 4 or more points coded as on curve

TOC B BC              or            TOC B OC

TOC                                       TOC OC

TOC                                       TOC OC

TOC EC E                              TOC OC E

Message 8 of 8
IanMcClain

If you search the autocad help file there are some really good examples with pictures on how the linework commands that Brian pointed out. I printed them out and keep them close for references.

Also, I would advise caution using the multi-curve options. In my experience using a BC and EC on 3+ point curves results in a spline that almost never represents what is on the ground. I tell guys I work with not to use the EC and then the BC behaves like the old C3 command where the current point and next two define an arc. Anyany, C3D is really nice in that you have a lot of options.

For your curent issue, you can change your EC point code or you could change the linework command to be something else.

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report