*Expert Elite*
2,796 Posts
307 Kudos
Post 32 of 71

Re: Survey Figure's... whats the point?

06-28-2012 09:04 AM in reply to: Jasono2009

Jasono2009 wrote:

Hey Tim Corey -

Then explain to us how a surveyor benefits moving on to C3D from LDD?

Let's see:

1. Surface object remembers all of your edits and lets you select which to apply.

2. Surface activitiy can be moved up and down the list so a boundary applied before edits along the edge can be moved below those edits and does not have to be re-created.

3. Point group remembers its properties so that styles can be applied and held even if points are re-imported.

4. Use of No Display point group allows isolation of point groups without using layers. (!)

5. Surface volumes are faster/easier and 2013 has the volumes dashboard. (2012 does, too, if you download from Subscription Center.)

That's all I have time for. Have a great day and keep these discussions going!

Tim

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
Valued Contributor
77 Posts
9 Kudos
Post 33 of 71

06-28-2012 09:10 AM in reply to: tcorey
>From your list of points, I agree volumes are much faster, but no.s 1, 2, 4 are fluff, and no. 3 you could do with LDD. The cost difference for a surveyor moving from LDD to C3D is not worth it in my opinion.
Valued Mentor
356 Posts
43 Kudos
Post 34 of 71

06-28-2012 09:21 AM in reply to: Jasono2009

Jasono2009 wrote:
>From your list of points, I agree volumes are much faster, but no.s 1, 2, 4 are fluff, and no. 3 you could do with LDD. The cost difference for a surveyor moving from LDD to C3D is not worth it in my opinion.

Well, that's your opinion, wrong as it may be. 

I'm quite familiar with C3D and familiar with LDD. Sorry, LDD loses. 

Autodesk aimed to create a product that encompasses the surveying AND design in one package. LDD was never really geared for both, and for what it was geared for, it was extremely limited in scope and functionality. C3D uses a similar yet more complex approach, thereby allowing it to become infinitely more versatile, customizable, and useful than LDD ever was. LDD was great in its own time, but now is mostly obsolete. 

You're in a pit of quicksand here, Jasono2009, because the harder you fight, the further you sink. I'd suggest simply cutting your losses.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit
NVidia Quadro K3000M Dual Monitor
32.0 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70 GHz
Civil 3D 2013 SP 2
9 Kudos
Post 35 of 71

06-28-2012 09:38 AM in reply to: owenmull
Owen - what do you mean wrong opinion? With regards to this topic I don't care what design capabilities C3D has. Nor do most surveyors. We are talking about surveying. And few surveyors perform design work. If they did we would not need engineers (and I say this as a PE). The basic idea is to have a software to import points, process a topo, draft the survey - perhaps a preliminary plat (or equivalent) or boundary survey will be made from it. So, again, explain to me how C3D can do this better than even Carlson Survey? And how can you justify the upgrade cost difference to a survey office? At the end it comes down to time and money. For surveying C3D loses by all accounts.
Valued Mentor
356 Posts
43 Kudos
Post 36 of 71

06-28-2012 10:05 AM in reply to: Jasono2009

What you're arguing here is akin to eating soup with a fork (LDD). Why not spend the extra money and get a spoon, or better yet, a soup spoon (C3D) designed for eating soup? Not te mention the value of the time savings. Forgive the analogy, but it illustrates my point. You're not technically wrong in saying that LDD will do some of the things C3D does, but it does not do them as fast or as easily as C3D, nor as flexible. 

All those things you mentioned - preliminary plat, topos, drafts of surveys, etc. are much more easily accomplished in C3D than LDD, I assure you. The only reason you may disagree is that you do not know C3D well enough, and it takes time to learn a new product. That's fine. There are several classes, webinars, manuals, help files, etc. that you can use in order to learn it. My hunch is you dont have a firm grasp on the surveying sie of C3D, but you've been using LDD for years and are "stuck" in the old software. C3D can do so much more, it just takes some time to learn it. Good luck!

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit
NVidia Quadro K3000M Dual Monitor
32.0 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70 GHz
Civil 3D 2013 SP 2
9 Kudos
Post 37 of 71

06-28-2012 11:31 AM in reply to: owenmull
Owen- Wrong on all accounts. I've used C3D since 2009. I've used it so much that I currently have a 'best practice' draft in progress. In addition to being a Civil PE I am a licensed surveyor in multiple states, and a federal licensed land surveyor. I used LDD (including the Softdesk version) since 1997. I also taught Autocad at a university for 2 years and a technical college for 1 year. While I agree C3D is the answer for most civil design applications (with the exception of mass haul), it is substandard for most surveying applications because 1. It is slower or offers no change in benefit. 2. The cost-benefit ratio doesn't equate. When it comes to plats C3D may be able to subdivide lots faster but can it process a topo survey faster? Absolutely not.
Valued Mentor
777 Posts
66 Kudos
Post 38 of 71

06-28-2012 12:00 PM in reply to: Jasono2009

Jasono2009 wrote:
Owen- Wrong on all accounts. I've used C3D since 2009. I've used it so much that I currently have a 'best practice' draft in progress. In addition to being a Civil PE I am a licensed surveyor in multiple states, and a federal licensed land surveyor. I used LDD (including the Softdesk version) since 1997. I also taught Autocad at a university for 2 years and a technical college for 1 year. While I agree C3D is the answer for most civil design applications (with the exception of mass haul), it is substandard for most surveying applications because 1. It is slower or offers no change in benefit. 2. The cost-benefit ratio doesn't equate. When it comes to plats C3D may be able to subdivide lots faster but can it process a topo survey faster? Absolutely not.

Are you sure about that? I just took a 3487 point survey this morning from a CSV file, uploaded it into a new survey database, and got all my figures & symbols placed in my drawing in about 45 seconds.  Because I flag what figures are breaklines, I just create a survey query that takes any figure marked as a breakline and add it to a surface.  My topo is already done.  Took about three minutes to create the topo and it'll take me about ten minutes to add labels & create a layout.

Now you tell me if LDD can create a 3500 point topo, have everything on the correct layers and styles, and have a contour map prepared with labels in about 15 minutes.

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
*Expert Elite*
2,796 Posts
307 Kudos
Post 39 of 71

06-28-2012 12:10 PM in reply to: Jasono2009

Jasono2009 wrote:

Fluff? Not to me. I find those features very important.

Regarding no. 3, Land Desktop allowed you to set display properties based on a point group, but it did not remember those settings as point group properties, so they would change if you re-imported the points. There was not even a vestige of a point group display hierarchy.

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
Valued Contributor
77 Posts
9 Kudos
Post 40 of 71

06-28-2012 12:13 PM in reply to: engrtech
Probably yes -my description keys will ensure everything falls on the correct layer, automated point-line will generate the breaklines, I then isolate my breakpoints, run breaklines, then running contours takes little time. I might spend a few minutes inspecting the contours and linework looking for field coding issues. Could I do it in 15 minutes? I'd have to see the dataset to know for sure, but provided the field crews coded the descriptors correctly, then yes.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post