Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Equipment Database

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
icie.washington
655 Views, 8 Replies

Survey Equipment Database

I am currently working in C3D2009, and I am taking a shot at seeing if we can utilize the Survey functions for our data dowloads. I am trying to input the equipment information for the equipment database. We are currently using Trimble 5600 DR 200+ Total Stations, and I can't seem to match up the specs from the sheet with what C3D is asking for on the properties tab for the equipment database. Is this information really necessary for us to input in order to do a traverse analysis? Can I leave the default options and work with those? Has anyone successfully been able to add in their equipment information and it work properly? Any assistance is appreciated.
Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 8 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10 GHz
Dell T1650
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bcsurvey
in reply to: icie.washington

Going through some older threads looking for the same answers you posted here.  What did you end up doing?  I'm currently on C3D 2012 and we are getting back to making a big push to see if the equipment database is worth using.

Thanks

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 3 of 9
icie.washington
in reply to: bcsurvey

Fast forward a few years, we're now on C3D 2014 and are starting to do linework. I am trying again to see if I can find the needed information for the equipment database. If anyone knows where I can find this stuff for Topcon ES 105 - Refractive index, Wave constant, etc. - please let me know.

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650
Message 4 of 9

That information is in the Equipment Manual. However most of the settings in the default equipment database are fine.

I have however used it on an occasion where the instrument was set with a 30 degree prism and the rod was a 0 degree.

IMO they serve little purpose except for the rare instance I provided were I needed it to physically adjust the shot distance.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for replying.

I have checked the equipment manual, but I'm having a difficult time discerning this information ( I am not very familiar with the stats for the equipment our crews use, and I can't find anything that reads the same, i.e., Nothing in the manual says "Refractive Index" or "Wave constant" specifically). We have also on occasion had to adjust a shot distance (using other software), so I want to be sure I understand how to do it with the survey tools available so we can do it all in Civil 3D (if possible).

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650
Message 6 of 9

Before you go to the work of setting up the database, make sure that your raw data does not already have some of this information applied to it.  Some instruments will record measurement data that is already adjusted based on internal parameters.  You can also have this type of adjustment in the datacollectors, although this normally shows up in the raw data file.

Stacy Dunn
Message 7 of 9

I'm glad you mentioned that. I checked the raw file for one of our projects, and noticed that some of this is already applied to the file. The data collectors we use do adjust the file. So the question now is this: Since the raw data I receive will already be adjusted, do I even need to worry about setting up the equipment database? Will it introduce additional error if I use it anyway? Am I able to work with the raw data without using an equipment database?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm just trying to figure this out. Any advice is appreciated.

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650
Message 8 of 9

I would just except the defaults. I have never had a single issue, and that goes all the way back to LDD that there has been an equipment database.

You can however use it to covert thing, like I mention regarding the prism. It will also convert a fbk file that was done completely in metric to feet if necessary.

It really depends on the situation (field flub up) that happens and believe you me it does and will happen.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9

Ok. I'll keep the defaults and go from there. Thanks.

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report