Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Database Point Description Length

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Edoc13
1026 Views, 8 Replies

Survey Database Point Description Length

Civil 3D 2013 SP1 (64bit)

When importing an event, my point descriptions are cutoff at 16 characters.

Is there any setting to increase this?

If I have Microsoft Access installed on my computer, can one easily modify the table?

If you can modify the table using Access, can you define a default DB or would I have to redefine the string length within a table everytime I create a DB thru Civil 3D GUI?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Edoc13

Not sure what you mean as I don't use survey really. Is this controlled by description key sets if so you only need a few characters I the DB, then define the text string for each key in civil 3d under key sets.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 9
Edoc13
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I'm not really talking about DescKeys but surveyors would need more than 16 chars in the point description when using DescKeys anyway. Ex: "BLDG B  RPN1000 /#123 EXAMPLE ROAD"

I'm speaking of the actual point description.

I just visit another user (Civil 3D 2012 on Win7) and they can have at least 40 chars.

I beginning to believe it may have something to do with Win7 (true 64bit).

I also just remembered that when I start C3D, i see the following message on the command line:

No MS Jet provider found...

Or something like that. I'll post the actual message when I'm back at the office.

Message 4 of 9
BrianHailey

Seems to work fine for me: 

http://screencast.com/t/idRxdQbPqNki 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 9
Murph_Map

@Edoc13 wrote:

I also just remembered that when I start C3D, i see the following message on the command line:

No MS Jet provider found...

Or something like that. I'll post the actual message when I'm back at the office.

To fix that issue use the "MAPOPTIONS" and on the Data Source tab of the dialog there is a place to change the default provider for MS Acess databases, select one that's on your workstation.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 9
Jeff_M

@Edoc13 wrote:

I'm not really talking about DescKeys but surveyors would need more than 16 chars in the point description when using DescKeys anyway. Ex: "BLDG B  RPN1000 /#123 EXAMPLE ROAD"

I'm not finding. in the 2013 help. where it lists valid characters to use in your input file, nor do you mention what kind of file you are importing (fieldbook, point file, etc.). But I think your issue comes from the # character in the description....most, if not all, of the stock PointFileFormat styles use the # character as a comment tag, so anything following it is ignored.

12-7-2012 6-44-13 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 9
IanMcClain

Can you post a sample file of what you are importing?

I haven't had an issue with the survey database limiting my descriptions to 16 characters, but my data collector software limits me to 16 characters. In fact I regularly store long descriptions as * with the description as raw data note, then copy and past them in place of the * in the file I import into C3D.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 9
Edoc13
in reply to: IanMcClain

I was importing a FBK.

When speaking with IT, I imported a ASCII file and all the characters were there!

It turns out the Survey Data Collection Link (found on the Home tab under Create Ground Data) was reducing the characters when converted from TDS .RAW to FBK.

Thanks for the help everyone!

@Jeff_M: Thanks for pointing out that I need to remove/change the comment tag for ASCII import.

Message 9 of 9
BrianHailey

Thanks for posting up the answer you came across. It helps when others are searching for an answer.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report