AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

joswald20
Message 1 of 4 (125 Views)
Accepted Solution

Surfaces

125 Views, 3 Replies
05-09-2014 12:05 PM

New-ish C3D user here working with a surface.  I have spot elevation shots in a grid and want to show contours and possible flowlines.  I created a surface and am having no success adding any data to it.  Basic helpful hints would be great or point me to tutorials that explain the proceedure to someone with no surface experience.  Thanks. 

"I have spot elevation shots in a grid"

If these are Civil 3D points, place them in a point group and add the point group to the surface definition.

If these are AutoCAD points expand the surface definition in the toolspace, right click on Drawing Objects and hit the dropdown to select points. Follow the promts to add the points to the surface.

If these are LDD point objects hit the Points dropdown button on the Home tab of the Ribbon. You will see a command to convert Land Desktop points to C3D points. You can then add them to a point group and then to a surface definition.

First if you don't have Surface Styles to show what you want. You must create them.

sst.png

Then you have to apply them to the Surface.

asst.PNG

Surfaces can be shown many ways depending on what the current style that's set.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 2 of 4 (117 Views)

Re: Surfaces

05-09-2014 12:34 PM in reply to: joswald20

"I have spot elevation shots in a grid"

If these are Civil 3D points, place them in a point group and add the point group to the surface definition.

If these are AutoCAD points expand the surface definition in the toolspace, right click on Drawing Objects and hit the dropdown to select points. Follow the promts to add the points to the surface.

If these are LDD point objects hit the Points dropdown button on the Home tab of the Ribbon. You will see a command to convert Land Desktop points to C3D points. You can then add them to a point group and then to a surface definition.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 3 of 4 (112 Views)

05-09-2014 12:49 PM in reply to: joswald20

First if you don't have Surface Styles to show what you want. You must create them.

sst.png

Then you have to apply them to the Surface.

asst.PNG

Surfaces can be shown many ways depending on what the current style that's set.

Allen

joswald20
Message 4 of 4 (102 Views)

05-09-2014 01:39 PM in reply to: jmayo

Yup.  Point groups is the way to go.  Thanks.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.