Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces within quantities take off criteria for earthwork calcs

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
1744 Views, 6 Replies

Surfaces within quantities take off criteria for earthwork calcs

Good morning everybody...

I am a regular user of Civil 3D, but I am finally getting into the meet and juice of this incredible tool, and as a result I am working determining cut and fill volumes to be represented in cross sections for discussion with contractors. I have an issue and is this:

I have 3 surfaces, EG (Existing Ground), Final Datum (Final design grade surface) and a undercut for 4 inches that has to be excavated below my datum but it is incidental to the common excavation to the datum grade, when I am assigning my two surfaces for comparison, the cut is between the EG and Final Datum for paid item, and then for cut under incidental, the 2 surfaces compared are final datum to undercut (4 inches below datum), and in here it is showing full cut under the final datum within the boundaries of the final datum surface which is not right, please see attached graph for a better understanding of this...

My question is this, how can I tell Civil 3D that I need my cut to stop at the Stripped topsoil surface between the final datum and undercut surfaces? I hope this question makes sense... it is driving my crazy

Thanks to all

Oscar

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: 200092363

It appears you've had 12" of topsoil stripped and wish to calculate the earthwork volumes using the bottom limit of topsoil stripping as the top excavation limit?

If so, Create a New surface, Name it Topsoil Stripped > Paste your EG surface into it >use Raise/Lower Surface to lower Topsoil Stripped  surface 1 foot.

Now use this surface as the comparison rather than the EG for your volume quantities.

By pasting the surface into the EG, if the EG changes, the stripped surface updates reflecting any new changes once rebuilt.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
tcorey

This should explain the process:

http://timsc3dblog.blogspot.com/2014_01_01_archive.html

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
fcernst
in reply to: tcorey

You wouldn't need to add the "vertical" links on the assembly.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 7
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

It appears you've had 12" of topsoil stripped and wish to calculate the earthwork volumes using the bottom limit of topsoil stripping as the top excavation limit?

If so, Create a New surface, Name it Topsoil Stripped > Paste your EG surface into it >use Raise/Lower Surface to lower Topsoil Stripped  surface 1 foot.

Now use this surface as the comparison rather than the EG for your volume quantities.

By pasting the surface into the EG, if the EG changes, the stripped surface updates reflecting any new changes once rebuilt.

Thank you Jay.... Appreciate your time helping me here. What you explained here is what I did at the beginning, developed the surfaces needed and then comparing, the problem was that I was using Base and comparison surfaces and as you know, there are a maximum of 2 surfaces to be compared when using this tool. It is very helpful when you know the limits of your disturbed areas, and you want to know either cut or fill volumes by the dashboard in the volumes and materials panel, but it becomes an issue when you have more than two surfaces and they interact with each other, like in the pdf provided.

You have cut below topsoil (EG) on the ditches outside the limits of pavement and towards your pavement structure you have fill within the same surfaces... hope you understand my point. Thanks for the help!!!

Oscar

Civil 3D 2014 - 64 Bit

@intel Core (TM) i7-4800MQ @ 2.70GHz 

16.0 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro K1100M

Message 6 of 7
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks Corey,

Actually I figured something close to this solution, only difference is I am working out of a corridor for a road section, my surfaces are defined by boundaries within disturbed areas and my assemblies are typical LaneSuperelevationAOR, LinkOffsetAndSlope, ect type of subassemblies, and everything within the same corridor.

Very cool the document you elaborated for this, even cooler that you share this, respect man! Very helpful for me too because I am developing a SOP (Standard Operations Procedure) for this purpose within company standards... kind of tricky to be honest, there is no easy way to explain something like this, specially for bid items under earthwork calcs.

I will share with you the SOP as soon as I have a final draft, I will appreciate your opinion on this one...

Thanks a lot Man

Oscar

Message 7 of 7
Dawoodkhan

please  any one can help  how to calculate volume  for more than 2 or 3 surface in cross section  ?

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report