Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces not overlapping issue

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3358 Views, 10 Replies

Surfaces not overlapping issue

I am having this same error.  I have an existing ground surface made from feature lines.  And a proposed ground surface made from a corridor.  When I create a volume surface to find the cut and fills I get the 'Surfaces do not overlap' error.

As far as I can tell the surfaces are overlapping, in both the section views and the object viewer.  This has never happened before.

Simular to the issue in this thread

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
doni49
in reply to: Anonymous

In the original thread, the OP eventually found that the EG surface was basically empty.  Have you confirmed yours has valid data?

Draw a rectangle around the entire site -- it'll be used as a reference point in the screenshots blow.

With the FG surface set to No Display, turn on the EG surface triangles and boundary.  Take a screenshot to show what it looks like.

Now do the opposite -- set EG to No Display and turn on the FG surface triangles and boundary.  Take another screenshot to show what it looks like.

Post the two screenshots.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

I have attached the two screen shots.  My EG is fine, but perhaps my corridor surface isn't really a surface?  I created a surface of the corridor when I made my corridor and it appears in the list of surfaces.  I've created section views with it but when I hover my mouse over the surface in plan view it doesn't give me any data like it does for my EG.

I usually have problems with corridors and end up cheating and creating feature lines from the alignment/profile to get my final surface.  So I've probably done something wrong...

Corinne

Message 4 of 11
doni49

Can you post your dwg file so we can troubleshoot?

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

Don,

I've attached the CAD file.  I'm working on two sections of road so I have separate EG and corridor surfaces in the file.  If you don't mind taking a look at it and letting me know what I've done wrong, that would be so very nice.  My corridor experience is minimal.

Thank you!

Corinne

Message 6 of 11
wfberry

Corrine:

Go to Prospector, select either of your non-existing surfaces.  Rt. click "Corridor-North", select Surface Properties, Statistics tab.  Notice that this is blank, so no surface has been made.

You need to go to the corridor section in Prospector to make your surface.  Rt click one of your corridors and go to the Surfaces tab.

Here is where you determine what surface you want to use. Notice you have several choices under the "specify code".  

Normally you would select Top for finish grade contours, Datum for calculating earthwork. (you have to select the "+" for each)  You can have both.

You may already know all of this so I want use any more space.

Bill
Infrastructure Suite 2014 Premium SP 1

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

Bill,

I did what you said and I now have a volume surface in my dashboard!  However I don't believe the volume I am getting is correct.  I am a bit lost when it comes to setting up the links and codes.  Would I be asking too much for a screen shot of the corridor surfaces tab with the correct information I need to put in?  Perhaps this will help with my confusion.

Thank you,

Corinne

Message 8 of 11
doni49

DanielBurns3250 wrote:

I did what you said and I now have a volume surface in my dashboard!  However I don't believe the volume I am getting is correct. 

What are you seeing that leads you not to trust the info?

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

My volume quantities are showing very high cuts with not much fill.  I'm expecting lots of cut but my fill volume should be much higher than a few hundred cubic meters.  My quantity takeoff criteria probably isn't populated property so I need to deal with that.  Thank you.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Well when you create a surface from corridor, there are a ton of options there, but the two that are easiest to stick with are "datum" and "top"  Datum is generally the bottom of all the section links, so that's kind of the subgrade equivalent, and "top" will use the top of all the links, giving you a finished grade volume. 

Note that using datum would require you to accurately reflect all material depths. 

Message 11 of 11
gdaoul01
in reply to: wfberry

Thank you so much!!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report