Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces do not overlap error?!?!?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Postmaster_G
2344 Views, 6 Replies

Surfaces do not overlap error?!?!?

Can anyone tell me why two simple surfaces that clearly overlap in the vertical and in orbit seem fine give me an error "Surfaces do not overlap"?

error.PNGsmashing-laptop-with-bat.gif

-Meow
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

well first off, what are trying to do that produces this error?
Message 3 of 7

I have a design surface and a surveyed surface and I am trying to do my usual cut fill report.

I have never seen this error before.

I have created two tin surfaces that overlap and I am trying to create the tin volume surface to give me my cut/fill numbers.

-Meow
Message 4 of 7
doni49
in reply to: Postmaster_G

1) what version are you using?

2) what specific steps are you using to do this comparison?

I just tried it using C3D 2012 and even if I move the proposed surface so that it DOESN'T overlap the existing, I don't get errors although it reports zeros for the volumes.  Here's a screenshot and I've also attached the dwg file that I used for testing.

VolumeCalcsTest.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 7
Postmaster_G
in reply to: doni49

Turns out, i am an idiot.

I copied the survey surface from the surveyors drawing and pasted into my drawing (which i have done before).

This time, it told me to rebuild the surface, so I did.

When I did so, it lost all of the data and the tin disappeared.

The surface that I thought was there was the same area but the previous survey!  Thank you for the help.

I shall mark this as solved through stupid...

-Meow
Message 6 of 7
doni49

Don't beat yourself up to bad -- we've all done stuff like that.

But thanks for letting us know it's resolved.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 7
Postmaster_G

Indeed, and thank you for looking!!!

-Meow

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report