Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Volumes in specific areas...

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
trynders
608 Views, 20 Replies

Surface Volumes in specific areas...

I have a 100 acre park that I am doing earthworks.  I have 1 proposed and 1 existing surface.  The park is now broke into 5 different areas and I need to get cut and fill for each area.  Is there a way to do a volume report for a particular area?  I could define the area with a polyline.  Or do I need to copy the proposed surface and start chopping up into 5 areas?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
troma
in reply to: trynders

Maybe you should look into the 'Bounded Volumes' option on the Analysis tab. I've never investigated it too much.

Another option is to create new surfaces for your 5 areas. In each case, paste in your proposed surface and then add a boundary. This keeps the link dynamic for easier updating of the design of the proposed surface. And you can use the 'Volumes' analysis to create a report that will list the cut/fill for each surface (each area).

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 21
erik.raff

Look into parcels. Since you already have your existing and proposed surfaces done, all you need is a closed polyline for each of your 5 areas, specifiy each area as a different parcel then do a volume calc. It'll give you the volumes for each parcel also.

Message 4 of 21
neilyj666

You don't say what version you are on - the Volumes Dashboard (2012 and later) is the way to tackle this problem or use troma's suggestion (either bounded volumes based on a volume surface or the multiple surface creation method).

I personally wouldn't use the parcels method as I have had bad experiences with parcels in the past but the method does work if you wished to try it.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 21
sadkuh
in reply to: neilyj666

Just out of curiosity, what kind of parcel problems have you had? I've used it a few times and the volumes are always accurate out when check them via a second method.

Message 6 of 21
neilyj666
in reply to: sadkuh

Not a problem with the volumes just the parcels - but probably from poor linework causing problems in creation.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 21
trynders
in reply to: erik.raff

Thanks.  That sounds like a great approach.  I made a quick parcel but could not figure out how to get cut and fill quantities.  Could you shed a bit more info on how to do it?

Message 8 of 21
neilyj666

Toolbox > Reports

2013-04-17 13_39_07-Toolspace.jpg

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
trynders

Thanks... What do you think might be the reason it stops a quarter the way thru?

Message 10 of 21
neilyj666

Without any data it's difficult to be sure....

EESignature

Message 11 of 21
autoMick

I hadn't thought of using parcels before, so I did a quick test with the 2014 trial (and then with 2013 SP1) and get a fatal error every time I run the parcel volume report (ANZ profile). I tried html and also excel report. My steps are:

• Create EG surface, then add ENZ points
  • Create a surface representing a dredged pit (feature line at -ve elevation with grading to surface)
  • Create a volume surface from the two
  • Draw 2 parcel boundaries and separately create parcel from objects
  • Try to run the parcel volume report.

Anything I'm doing wrong? My drawing is 2.3MB zipped. How do I share it?

Thanks

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 12 of 21
neilyj666
in reply to: autoMick

Not sure what the problem is - I just drew a couple of rectangles, converted to parcels and ran the report

EESignature

Message 13 of 21
autoMick

Hmmm... curious. I just deleted my slightly more complex parcels and drew two rectangular ones in the same drawing and the report worked. I then dragged some of the vertices of the rectangles out to make trapezoidal shaped parcels, ran the report again and it crashes. Neilyj, could you try the same?
Message 14 of 21
neilyj666

dragged the vertices and no problems

created random polygon (yellow) and again no problem

Have you audited the drawing?

EESignature

Message 15 of 21
autoMick

The audit found and fixed 1 error. I saved the file then restarted C3D. Same issue.

I just drew up a simpler test. The parcel volume report works for this, however if I drag one of the parcel vertices outside of the volume surface area, then I get the crash on re-running the report. Still doing some testing.

Does your report work if a parcel extends outside of the volume surface area?

Even my 'small' test file is 2.3Mb ! so can't post that. It only has 2 features lines with about 6 points each, 3 surfaces and 2 rectangular parcels.

Message 16 of 21
neilyj666

Runs ok - have you tried the volumes dashboard method?

EESignature

Message 17 of 21
autoMick

Yep, volumes dashboard works as anticipated... see attached. 

I've tested the parcels report more and it crashes everytime as described - so I've logged a support request.

Thanks for testing.

- Mick

Message 18 of 21
trynders

Okay all,  I started this thread and still have problems.  I did an audit on my existing surface and it found some issues.  Corrected those, and saved.  Move to my proposed surface drawing, which existing surface is a data shortcut, and could make a parcel of about 55,000 sq. ft.  That parcel would generate a report.  Any parcels larger the program hangs up.  It doesn't crash, just sits there.  Is there a parcel size maximum I should know about?

I can select my parcel and do a volume bounded, I just like the report for the client.

Thanks,

Message 19 of 21
trynders

BTW, How do I get to volumes dashboard?

Message 20 of 21
Ed.McGriskin

Under the Surfaces Menu -> Utilities -> Volume Dashboard. Also typing VOLUMEDASHBOARD in command line works as well.
Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report