Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface to Exclude all above specific elevation......

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
doni49
4895 Views, 15 Replies

Surface to Exclude all above specific elevation......

I have my surface set to exclude everything above elevation 822.

ExcludeAboveElev.png

But when I turn on "Triangles & Points" for this surface, I'm seeing points above 822.  Why would it do this?

ExcludeAboveElevPlan.png

EDIT:  I thought I'd give a little background info.  This is a man-made lake.  It's been drained and we need to regrade the bottom.  Everything lower than 822 will be left as is.  Anything higher than 822 will be cut out.  Then there will be little islands (6 of them) that I'll create using feature lines.  The bottom of each island will be at 822.  Everything between the bottoms of these islands and the existing 822 contour should be FLAT at 822.

The surface I'm showing you will be an intermediate surface only.  I pasted my existing surface into it and then set it to exclude everything above 822. 

My intention is to set this surface to NoDisplay and then create a FG surface which will consist of 1) this intermediate surface pasted in and 2) the island featurelines.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Jeff_M
in reply to: doni49

Don, I'm pretty sure that the Build options are not applied to Surfaces which are Pasted into it. You will need to extract the 822 contour(s) and use it/them as boundaries.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 16
doni49
in reply to: Jeff_M

😞  That's not what I wanted to hear.  But thanks.  I'll get working on that.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 16
Jay_B

Don,

Looks to me it's due to the fact that Surface EG-1 was created using a Snapshot.

This Snapshot is then Pasted into the EG-Below822 Surface.

Tested this in Tutorial file Surface-4C.dwg the XGND surface does honor the Elevation filtering if

elevations >100 are excluded.

Once I create a new Surface & Paste the XGND into new surf. then any elevation exclusions won't

work on the pasted surface. If the exclusions are applied to XGND & both surfaces are rebuilt, now that

new pasted surface is honoring the elevation exclusions. HTH

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 16
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jay_B

Ah, I missed that little tidbit, Jay. Nice catch!
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 16
doni49

I've never used snapshot (not that I know of anyway) and I created the EG surface.  The file that I'm working with has the EG surface referenced in.  So that I could upload the file for examination, I opened a new file and promoted the surface into the new file (so that it's active).

But the file that I'm actually working with still has the EG surface referenced in.

I took Jeff's advice and extracted the 822 contour.  I've since realized that I'm going to have to do that anyway.  Where my proposed work crosses the 822, I need to trim it back.  C3D got REALLY CONFUSED otherwise because I had two 822 contours crossing each other.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 16
doni49

Grrrrr.  This is really annoying me now.

I created a new outer boundary for the intermediate surface (based on the 822 and modified to go around my islands).  Then I added my boundary to the surface.

The surface is STILL showing contours/triangles outside of the boundary.

The Cyan colored shape is the boundary.  The other two surfaces are set to NoDisplay (the ONLY surface shown is the one in question).

Since promoting the surface in seemed to have caused an issue, I'm going to try posting my actual file.

Also--this is in C3D 2012.

SurfaceBoundary.png

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 16
Jay_B

dwg contains broken reference causing EG-1 surface to be out of date.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 9 of 16
Joe-Bouza

And now we know how, right?

>>>HERE<<<

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 16
doni49

Thanks Joe. Ironically about an hour or so after I posted my reply in the message you linked to, one of the engineers in my office brought me this lake grading task.

But no as I said above, even though I've added the cyan polling (which Is closed) as an outer boundary, the triangles and contours continue to go beyond it.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 16
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

dwg contains broken reference causing EG-1 surface to be out of date.

Ok  Here's the source dwg file for the EG-1 surface.

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 16
doni49

@doni49 wrote:
Thanks Joe. Ironically about an hour or so after I posted my reply in the message you linked to, one of the engineers in my office brought me this lake grading task.

But no as I said above, even though I've added the cyan polling (which Is closed) as an outer boundary, the triangles and contours continue to go beyond it.

POLYLINE.  Stupid autocorrect!  🙂

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 16
doni49

Ok this is WEIRD!  I came in this morning and delted the boundary from the surface definition intending to recreate it.  When I pick the polyline, I get a message about an illegal self-intersection.  But this same shape WAS used yesterday -- it just wasn't cutting the surface off.

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 16
doni49

I think I've narrowed down what it's having trouble with.  Remember: I originally exported contour 822.  Then I modified the resulting polyline to go around two locations of proposed work.

In my troubleshooting efforts, I eleminated ONE of those work areas and imported the resulting polyline -- it came in with no problem (and the surface gets trimmed the boundary as expected.

But If I attempt to put back my work area at this location, it tells me there's an illegal self-intersection.  I used this tip to "walk around" the polyline at this location and I don't see any place where it intersects itself.

ExcludeAboveElevPlan3.png

ExcludeAboveElevPlan2.png

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 16
doni49

RESOLVED. 

I still don't understand WHY it was having trouble.  But I forced ACAD to recreate the boundary shape from scratch and C3D accepted the new boundary without complaint and it's now trimming the surface as expected.

Here's how I forced it to recreate the boundary:

1. Start the BHATCH command.
  2. Place a hatch element using this boundary -- but NOT ASSOCIATIVE.
  3. Move my original boundary shape elsewhere (doesn't matter where).
  4. Start the HATCHEDIT command.
  5. Select this new hatch element.
  6. On the right hand side of the dialog box, there is an option to "REGENERATE BOUNDARY".  Choose this.
  7. Delete the hatch element.
  8. Use the PAINTER command to make sure the new boundary looks the same as the original one.
  9. Delete the original boundary.

Don Ireland

Message 16 of 16
dodgese2

Thank you. I had the same situation trying to exclude certain points greater than elevation A and I looked incompetent in front of an engineer. The surface would not change after the rebuild.

I will have to jot this down when pasting surfaces. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report