Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Paste - Error Performing Edit

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
vossmachine
21203 Views, 16 Replies

Surface Paste - Error Performing Edit

I am working in Civ2010 and want the paste a site surface to my corridor surface.   However, when I try to do this, I get an error saying "Error performing edit".  I do not know what error is occurring in order to fix it.  I have done this with a few other sites within the same drawing and they pasted just fine to the corridor surface.  Any help would be of great assistance.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
awood
in reply to: vossmachine

The error might be happening because of a circular reference between surfaces.

Try creating a new surface and then paste the other surfaces into that to create the composite surface.

HTH

AWood

Message 3 of 17
vossmachine
in reply to: awood

Thanks AWood,

That seems to have taken care of the situation.

Message 4 of 17
mike

Good call.  Had same problem.  Defined all the gradings & feature lines to a new surface name; and used it to paste to existing terrain.  Worked first time, after an hour of beating my head on the desk!

Message 5 of 17
MatthewHeal83

I have this same error message in C3D 2013.

I have a blank drawing that I have data shortcut/referenced an existing ground model and a design model into.  I created a new blank surface (copy/paste surface) that I was going to paste the Existing Ground model into and then paste the Design Model into, but as soon as I try to paste in the existing ground I get the "Error Performing Edit" message.

This can't be a circular reference as the surface I am pasting my existing ground into has no data or dependencies at all.  I'm wondering if there's a limit to how many times you can paste surfaces together?  Or maybe a limit to the number of points/triangles that can be pasted in an operation?

I also suspect that maybe some of my references are corrupt...  I'm troubleshooting this one right now and I'll post more as I find it.

Matt H

Message 6 of 17
troma
in reply to: MatthewHeal83

@MatthewHeal83 wrote:

I have this same error message in C3D 2013.

I created a new blank surface (copy/paste surface)...

Matt H

What does that mean?  Was it a new surface or not?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 17

Well, I wasn't able to find the source of the problem.  I was running out of time so I had to work around it.  Thanks for the vague error messages Autodesk...

Message 8 of 17
MatthewHeal83
in reply to: troma

Well, in my office we call them a CP (Copy/pasted) surface.  Its a surface that has other surfaces pasted into it, like a composite or merged surface.  The CP surface has no data of its own except the surfaces that get pasted into it, so it has no dependencies and would not be subject othe Circular References problem.

Message 9 of 17
troma
in reply to: MatthewHeal83

OK, I get it. The terminology confused me. Sorry I wasn't more help. Only thing I can think is that the surface you're pasting is corrupt somehow. What was your workaround?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Best practices recommends you paste your corridor into a surface for composing. Leave your corridor clean and prestineSmiley Wink 

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 17

sometimes you have a snapshot in your surface.

Message 12 of 17
Jared.Condon
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:
OK, I get it. The terminology confused me. Sorry I wasn't more help. Only thing I can think is that the surface you're pasting is corrupt somehow. What was your workaround?

Had the same issue and the problem was as you described above. Surface that I was pasting-in (from a data reference) was corrupt. I went to the source dwg, audited it, fixed errors, and saved it. The conglomerate surface is now functioning properly.

My event viewer told me the data referenced surface was corrupt. Gonna start paying more attention to that window from now on...

Message 13 of 17

had the same problem with autocad civil 3D 2016.

solved the issue by running audit on the drawing, seemed that the surface went corrupted. pasting the surface into the surface worked fine then 🙂

----

Command: AUDIT
Fix any errors detected? [Yes/No] <N>: y

Auditing Header

Auditing Tables

Auditing Entities Pass 1

Pass 1 40600 objects audited
Tin Surface 06002.07_OT has become corrupted

Tin Surface 06002.07_OT rebuilt from surface points - may not match original
Pass 1 45900 objects audited
Auditing Entities Pass 2

Pass 2 45900 objects audited
Auditing Blocks

2314 Blocks audited

Auditing AcDsRecords

Total errors found 17 fixed 17

Erased 0 objects

---

Message 14 of 17
bessieadkins

Hello,

I have created a new surface & it did not give me an error! My corridor surfaces pasted with no problem at all! 😄

Now, though, my surface will not show at all. Do you perhaps have a solution for this?

I have added features lines to test the surface, and when adding the feature lines as breaklines, it does add to the surface and show contours. The corridor surfaces pasted will not show. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you!

Message 15 of 17
jochemZMHQ7

When pasting multiple surfaces to one other surface, make sure that all of te boundaries in these surfaces have the same mid-ordinate distance. This seems to matter for some reason.

Message 16 of 17

Also with the same mid ordinate distance I get this error. All part models are finished to combine them now and all effort results in this error.

I rebuild them all manually, checked everything, audited and still this error so I can start all over again combining them rightaway wich destroys the entire smart setup for this project.

Thanks a lot Autodesk

Message 17 of 17

Are you sure boundaries do not cross or overlap? I usually keep a tiny gap between surfaces I want to combine.

Also, sometimes it helps changing the order in which you pasted them. You could simply try this in the surface defenition of the combined surface.

In my experience, it's generally not the best way to paste multiple surfaces into one. There are ways around this, but these would depent on the reason you have for wanting to seperate them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report