Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Names Won't Stay Synchronized

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
johnthoreson
1264 Views, 12 Replies

Surface Names Won't Stay Synchronized

Hi,

I have a base drawing that xrefs a survey with several surfaces in it.  The surfaces have data shortcuts and are referenced to the base.

The trouble is the surfaces keep losing their names from what they're labeled in the survey to "<No Name Provided>".  I can go to Prospector > Surfaces, right-click the surfaces and Synchronize them and will be prompted to keep or update the name of the surfaces.  I'll update them, they pick up their proper name, and everything seems good...for awhile anyway.  

Invariably, when I come back to the drawing, say after opening and closing the drawing, the surface names have reverted back to <No Name Provided> even though the original surfaces haven't been changed, edited, opened, touched, etc.  I can re-synchronize them, but they'll loose their names again.  

Anyone know what's going on?  

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
doni49
in reply to: johnthoreson

My guess is that the data references have become corrupted.  Try using the Data Reference Manager (think that's what it's called anyway).  It's a windows app that come with C3D.  It should be in the same location on your Start Menu as your C3D icon.  Just to be sure the change takes effect, I'd suggest changing the suface names in the source file.  Then use the DRM to change all the referneces within the destination files.  THen if you want the original names, repeat the process to put them back.

The DRM allows you to do this in large batches so it should be fairly painless.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 13
johnthoreson
in reply to: doni49

Do you mean the Data Shortcuts Editor?  

If so, how do you update the references in the destination files?  For the different objects, I see their path and source file, but don't see where their destinations are listed (a screen shot is attached).  I can see how the Find and Replace feature would make batch changes pretty easy.  As an aside, the Help feature doesn't open with the Editor (I'm running 2013 C3D).  

Message 4 of 13
Jay_B

Try simply renaming the No Name surfaces to their original name save, close and open.
Any change?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 13
johnthoreson
in reply to: Jay_B

The names stick after the base drawing is reopened, but then after awhile the names are lost again and go back to <No Name Provided>.  I'll watch the drawing closely and see if I can figure out what triggers the loss of the names.

Message 6 of 13
tsaxy2k8

OK this happens to me daily.  Or better yet you have a Data Referenced surface in a file and when you open it, it doesn't show up or recognize it's there until you go to that surface in prospector and tell it to syncronize.

I'd say this is probably a SP1 with Civil 3D 2014 issue, as this never happened until I updated my system with the same files.

Heidi.

Message 7 of 13
tyronebk

One thing I know that causes Dref surfaces to lose their names is to synchronize the surface, then undo back before the synchronize. Pretty well guaranteed to result in the name <No Name Provided>. The easiest way to get the original name back is to manually synchronize the surface.

Message 8 of 13
Jay_B

@johnthoreson wrote:

Hi,

I have a base drawing that xrefs a survey with several surfaces in it.  The surfaces have data shortcuts and are referenced to the base.

Is the Xref of the survey an Attachment or Overlay attachment? Try Attachment if not currently.

Another thing to try is to open only the source dwg where the Surfaces were created (with no other project dwg's open)

and remove the Dref's for Each Surface from Data Shortcuts listing on Prospector. Save dwg and recreate the Surface references.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 13
jmayo-EE

I have fixed this on a few files simply by re-assigning the project to the dwg from the DataShortcuts tree in Prospector.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Jay_B
in reply to: tsaxy2k8

@tsaxy2k8 wrote:

I'd say this is probably a SP1 with Civil 3D 2014 issue, as this never happened until I updated my system with the same files.

FWIW, I've been using 2014 SP1 since it was released and I have yet to see this issue. The OP indicated he's using 2013.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 11 of 13
johnthoreson

It's an Attachment.

I just tried recreating the surface references in Prospector.  Fingers are crossed these stick! 

Message 12 of 13
johnthoreson

Deleting and recreating the shortcuts to the surfaces in the survey drawing seemed to do the trick - the names have been sticking in the base drawing.  Thanks!

Message 13 of 13
johnthoreson
in reply to: jmayo-EE

This is a really good idea.  If the issue comes up again, I'll give it a try.  For now, I think the issue was solved removing and recreating the shortcuts to the surfaces in the survey file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report