Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface name error after synchronizing a data shortcut

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bbuye03
2214 Views, 8 Replies

Surface name error after synchronizing a data shortcut

I have taken a surface (Drawing A) and created a data shortcut of it to another drawing (Drawing B). Once I make a change on Drawing A or on any linework in that drawing, I go back to my Drawing B and synchronize the data shortcut.

After it has synchronized a window pops up saying there has been an "object name change". Even though I haven't made any changes to the surface "name" in Drawing A.

-  Old name: AeccDbSurfaceTine name: Design Road Surface A (1)

and.....

-  Current name: AeccDbSurfaceTine name: Design Road Surface A

It asks if I want to:

-->Update the reference name

or

-->Keep the old reference name

I click "update the reference name" but the same error keeps showing up everytime I make a change on Drawing A then synchronize Drawing B.

How do I prevent the annoying name error?

B.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jay_B
in reply to: bbuye03

What version and Service Pack?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
Jeff_M

I have gotten this with PipeNetworks as well, except it tries to give all of my structures the name of the Network. I haven't found a cause or a fix, yet. I'm using C3D2012 SP3

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 9
bbuye03
in reply to: Jay_B

C3D2011 VERSION 3 (so SP2)
Message 5 of 9
Cadguru42

@bbuye03 wrote:

I have taken a surface (Drawing A) and created a data shortcut of it to another drawing (Drawing B). Once I make a change on Drawing A or on any linework in that drawing, I go back to my Drawing B and synchronize the data shortcut.

After it has synchronized a window pops up saying there has been an "object name change". Even though I haven't made any changes to the surface "name" in Drawing A.

-  Old name: AeccDbSurfaceTine name: Design Road Surface A (1)

and.....

-  Current name: AeccDbSurfaceTine name: Design Road Surface A

It asks if I want to:

-->Update the reference name

or

-->Keep the old reference name

I click "update the reference name" but the same error keeps showing up everytime I make a change on Drawing A then synchronize Drawing B.

How do I prevent the annoying name error?

B.

Did you ever find an answer to this? This just happened today for the first time on a project. My existing ground drawing (eg.dwg) has not even been changed nor opened, yet my corridor drawing (corridor.dwg) is telling me that the source object has changed, which clearly it hasn't. For the old surface name, it says <No Name Provided> while the current name is EG. The surface name has never been changed and I haven't even had the eg.dwg drawing open to change anything. 

Anyone know what's going on? I can select Keep the old reference name, but this happens every time I sync the data shortcuts. I'm affraid to select Update the reference name because I'm not sure what it'll do. As always, the help files are useless. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Cadguru42

When I hsee this, <No Name Provided> I always update the ref.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
bbuye03
in reply to: Cadguru42

synchronize_fail.JPGNo I have not found a solution. That error pops up every time whether you select "update the name" or "keep the old name". Some drawings it consistently does it while others manage to synchronize without an issue.

For some reason on a drawing of mine, it asks me to "synchronize the data shortcut" when I save, but I am in the base drawing that I'm using as a data shortcut. There are no data shortcuts in my drawing, I am using a design surface as a data shortcut to another drawing. When I save and synchronize the data shortcut and select either "update the reference name" or "keep the old reference name" it results in an error and shown in the attached image.

So essentially, no I have not found a solution, instead I have encountered more issues that are becoming increasingly annoying.

Cheers

B.

Message 8 of 9
shickman

Purge, Audit then Recover the drawing and that fixed the duplicate surface name change "surface name (1)"

Message 9 of 9
renee.l.vaughn

Are your source drawings associated to the data shortcut project? All design files need to be associated to the project. If they are not it will break the link. When you open a design file the source drawing AND file with the reference need to be associated to the project. The drawing name will show [ ] with the project name. If it doesn't than they are not associated correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report