Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Manipulation

62 REPLIES 62
Message 1 of 63
tysonbird
2345 Views, 62 Replies

Surface Manipulation

I am curious if it is possible to modify only specific portions of a surface? For example, I have recieved an xml surface representing FG for a project, and want to do an earthwork calculation, could I raise and lower only portions of the project say by using specific boundaries for the asphalt paving, concrete etc. and then implement the raise & lower surface feature for these portions of the FG surface.

At this time I have been creating multiple surfaces for each particular feature of the site, then paste the FG surface, add a boudary and lower appropriately. Finally, I have to go through and paste each particular feature and its small surface into one "subgrade surface" to get an accurate representation. This method results in countless small surfaces and alot of leg work for something that seems like it should be simple.

I know that the surface defentions (FL's or corridors), should they be provided, would make this easy, but there have been several occasions where these are not being made availble by the project sponsor. 

62 REPLIES 62
Message 61 of 63
troma
in reply to: fcernst

You say my suggestion in unworkable.  In the absence of your wish coming true, what are you doing?  Do you prefer the Chappel solution? To my mind they take about the same to set up and are both dynamic.  My solution has the advantage of giving a nice report broken down by areas.

Your wish involves the volumes dashboard.  Since I'm still working in 2011 I haven't had a chance to see that yet, so I can't really understand or comment on the wish.  I'll check it out when I get a chance.

As for pasting and managing surfaces: pasting is quick, and managing is non-existant.  Drawing boundaries does take time.  What does managing surfaces mean?

Since I'm the only one in the office who does earthworks I presume hours budgeted on new projects is based on how long I took on the previous one.  I do my best to set things up sensibly so that if I don't work on a project for a while and then have to go back two years later I'll understand what was done and where I left off; or so that I can hand over to a coworker if one was asked to get into it.  I'm willing to look at new ideas, and I support your wish if it's going to save me time.  But I am interested in your current workflow, since you obviously feel it is better than mine.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 62 of 63
fcernst
in reply to: troma

No, I don't have any current better solution than you or the Chappel solution. That's the whole point. 

The software has no current elegant solution for correct subgrade earthwork analysis.

The Volumes Dashboard is a nice interface. Just a couple tweaks to that, place it on a Tab under Surface Properties, and Autodesk would have the elegant, one surface solution I propose.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 63 of 63
tysonbird
in reply to: tysonbird

100% agreed. This is something that Autodesk must do to stay relevant with communities othe than civil engineers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report