Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface largeee - topography

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
thiag0.vieira
234 Views, 4 Replies

Surface largeee - topography

Hello

actually Iam working on a drawing which topography its about 700.000m² with poylines (pi elevations) and points, the drawing is 42mb and the surface it self (.mms) is about 140mb...

from that I create a shortcut to work on my project, but its very slow, to update surface, corridor, volume etc....even to work on the profile view....

the file Iam working on its 160mb, i have 3 surfaces (.mms) all together = 330mb...

does someone knows how can i improve that?

my specs:

i7 2600k 3.4

16gb ram

the files Iam using its on server wich its accessed by network cable, speed 1gbps

thx

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
doni49
in reply to: thiag0.vieira

@thiag0.vieira wrote:

Hello

actually Iam working on a drawing which topography its about 700.000m² with poylines (pi elevations) and points, the drawing is 42mb and the surface it self (.mms) is about 140mb...

from that I create a shortcut to work on my project, but its very slow, to update surface, corridor, volume etc....even to work on the profile view....

the file Iam working on its 160mb, i have 3 surfaces (.mms) all together = 330mb...

does someone knows how can i improve that?

my specs:

i7 2600k 3.4

16gb ram

the files Iam using its on server wich its accessed by network cable, speed 1gbps

thx

Yes -- get smaller files.  🙂

Ok.  Getting serious now.....

You said the surface covers 700sm.  Do you NEED that whole area?  Or are you only working with a small portion of it?  If the latter,  then I'd seriously consider using a cropped surface -- cropped to just the area needed.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 5
thiag0.vieira
in reply to: doni49

heheh

I forgot to say Iam using civil 3d 2015

and i made a mistake..

topography surface = 2D surface area 4.192.353,34 sq.m

working = 2D surface area 700.000 sq.m

I already tried to add boundaries, but I didnt have much gain on perfomance....

i dont know if i can cut it off... because i will need to show all for customer.... but i think its a good ideia....

thanks!

Message 4 of 5
doni49
in reply to: thiag0.vieira

@thiag0.vieira wrote:

heheh

I forgot to say Iam using civil 3d 2015

and i made a mistake..

topography surface = 2D surface area 4.192.353,34 sq.m

working = 2D surface area 700.000 sq.m

I already tried to add boundaries, but I didnt have much gain on perfomance....

i dont know if i can cut it off... because i will need to show all for customer.... but i think its a good ideia....

thanks!

You could always use a cropped surface while you're working.  Then if the client needs to see the full area (WHY in the world would they insist on that?  But whatever -- they're paying the bills), you can show the original.  But if possible, I would SERIOUSLY consider working with a cropped version of the surface.  One caveat though:  A cropped surface is NOT dynamically linked to the original.  So if the original changes, you'll need to recreate the cropped surface.  That just means that you need to KNOW the change happend and take the appropriate action.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 5
thiag0.vieira
in reply to: doni49

Helloo

I just try mapclean / simplify objects = 1

and reduced the topography file from 400mb to 60mb....

volume changed but its an insignificant difference

i think its a good idea too...

thx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report