Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Labels vs Points

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
dwbassford
368 Views, 10 Replies

Surface Labels vs Points

A little background.. we have graded several parking lots and used the grading tool to create a proposed/design grade surface.  Currently we use points so that we can generate a point table (northing/easting/elevation) for contractors.  Unfortunately if we have to regrade the site (parking lot) the points do not stay attached to the design surface so we have to manually move them all to update the table.  Whereas if we use a surface label it does automatically update when we modify the surface, but I do not know how to extract the label information into a table so that the data is easy to find/read/use.  I have tried creating a table and extracting the information/data but can not seem to find the appropriate string/code to enter.  Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Apologies if there is a thread elsewhere, I did not see one.

-David W Bassford, EI

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: dwbassford

There is a third-party program call SincPac which will keep points referenced to a surface. The company is Quux Software. The price is very reasonable, like a couple hundred bucks per license.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
mathewkol

True the points need
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 11
dwbassford
in reply to: tcorey

So there is no other way other than a 3rd party software at the moment?

Message 5 of 11
mathewkol

Sent too early. True, points need to be refreshed, but that takes only seconds. Still, not dynamic though.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 11

You can set point elevations to match a surface by selecting the points, either in the drawing or in toolspace (Make a point group of your points makes this quicker), right clicking and choosing Elevations from Surface... Then choose the design surface and click ok.

Not dynamic in keeping the points attached to the surface, but quick. Does not help it the layout changes, as you will need to move the points.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 11
Neilw_05

Here is an idea: project the point onto a profile using the surface as elevation option. The points should them maintain the elevation of the surface as it changes. I haven't tested this.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Never mind. That won't work for randomly located points.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 11
hencoop

Could you use an alignment as your feature line and tabulate the alignment points.  If that works, editing the alignment should update the grade and update the points you've tabulated.

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 10 of 11
Joe-Bouza

That was my thought too

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
hakangus
in reply to: tcorey

I looked at Quux web site reading their matrix of functionality. I didn't find the function you meantioned, lock points to a surface. Wich one is it you write about? It would be awesome!

EDIT: Found it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report