Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface in Civil 3d 2009

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
208 Views, 6 Replies

Surface in Civil 3d 2009

I am start  work in civil 3d 2009,  I have a project started in LDD2009 and am trying to migrate to civil 3d 2009. I have imported the points, tin, and contours but cannot figure  how to create an actual EG surface. Can some on etell me how to create and actual EG surface using tthe tin and points.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

When you say you imported the "TIN". Are you referring to the actual tin or just the 3D lines that represent the tin?

One way would be to recreate the Surface using the points and breaklines. You can use the 3D lines but that might give unexpected results. Another way would be to export the Surface from Land to an XML file and import that to Civil 3D.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

I have found and imported the actual tin file I assume this means I have an actual surface to work with?

Message 4 of 7
troma

@AllenJessup wrote:

You can use the 3D lines but that might give unexpected results....

What unexpected results?  If you have the TIN lines in the drawing, they are probably 3D faces, not 3D lines, right? One thing to be sure of it to check the box "Maintain Edges from Faces" when you add them to the surface.

The only unexpected results I've experienced in that case is that the surface will triangulate across concave areas around the edge, so you need to add a boundary to restrain it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks,

I Had noticed that and have added a boundary. When I rebuilt the surface the contours matched the contours in my LDD surface. I appreciate the information.

Tom McDonnell
Project Engineer
tmcdonnell@DDCinc.us

Development Design Consultants, Inc.
Planners, Surveyors, Engineers, Landscape Architects
192 East Main Street office 410.386.0560
Westminster, MD 21157 fax 410.386.0564
www.DDCinc.us
Message 6 of 7
AllenJessup
in reply to: troma

Maybe my experience is from before  "Maintain Edges from Faces" or before I learned about it. I remember points being created within the triangulations. I used 3D lines because they were more universally accepted when sharing surfaces with non-LDT users.

I now always recreate a surface from points and breaklines since Civil 3D creates better surfaces than Land did. I only resort to other means if those aren't available.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

Glad you're on your way. Post again if you have further questions.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report