Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface From L Contour not working

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
237 Views, 3 Replies

Surface From L Contour not working

I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and there are no gaps. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Typically, when a surface has a concave area, like the inside of the L, we have to define a surface boundary to prevent triangulation across the concave area. Angel Espinoza KETIV Technologies "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:420b7ea0_1@newsprd01... > I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into > Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary > jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. > I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I > do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and there > are no gaps. Any ideas? > >
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Tobi: I believe the event viewer gives coordinates for the problem location. Maybe you can zoom to those coordinates to check it out. It would be nice if the event viewer had a "zoom to" function for the coordinates. Sincerely, Drew Burgasser CAD Masters, Inc. "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message news:420b7ea0_1@newsprd01... >I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into >Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary >jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. >I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I >do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and there >are no gaps. Any ideas? >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Another option to consider sometimes in lieu of a boundary is to set the maximum triangle length in the definition portion of the surface properties. If your data is spaced fairly close together then setting a number about 1.5 times your average point spacing in your data should produce automatically a fairly good boundary for concave shaped surfaces. It may not work perfectly in all situation but it is a worth a try to see if the results are good for you. Good Luck, Natan "Angel Espinoza" wrote in message news:420baf15_2@newsprd01... > Typically, when a surface has a concave area, like the inside of the L, we > have to define a surface boundary to prevent triangulation across the > concave area. > > Angel Espinoza > KETIV Technologies > > > "Tobi Yarbrough" wrote in message > news:420b7ea0_1@newsprd01... > > I have a storage pond shaped like an "L". I insert the 3D contours into > > Civil3D, create the surface from the contours, and the surface boundary > > jumps from the far right to the top and does not conform to the "L" shape. > > I get errors saying "Breakline...Not added--crossed a breakline at...". I > > do not quite understand this error. The polylines are all closed and > there > > are no gaps. Any ideas? > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report