Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface explode does not maintain geometry

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
308 Views, 8 Replies

Surface explode does not maintain geometry

I have a drawing that I have created a new UCS in, copied the geometry into a new drawing created the surface, WBlock and Inserted the surface back into the original drawing. It lands perfectly over the orginal geometry. But when I explode the block to return it to a surface. It creates a surface that doubles the original surface, one in the current UCS and one in the World UCS linked together. See two attached drawings. The original drawing is A39 (Old Model)-Mod (Not Exploded), and Drawing 2 where I created the surface.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

Only 1 drawing attached.

Also, C3D objects do not like UCS's. I suspect that this is where the issue you see is stemming from.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Could very well be, but regardless I need to find a work around then. 🙂 See attached other drawing..

Message 4 of 9
BrianHailey

If you explain what it is you are trying to accomplish, there may be another way to do it.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

All I want to do is copy my surface from the Drawing 2, into the A39 drawing. Which I have done using Wblock/Insert, but when I explode the surface in the A39 drawing it doesn't maintain the geometry..

Message 6 of 9
BrianHailey

This sounds odd. The only time I can see needing to do this is because of different coordinate systems, is this the case? Or are the two drawings just not drawing using the same coordinates?

If they are in different defined coordinate systems, export the surface to a .IMX file and then import that into the other drawing.

If this is a case of two people not coordinating the drawings so they are drawn in the same areas within the drawings, well, I would recommend moving the drawing that doesn't have the surface in it to the location of the drawing with the surface.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

I do have two differing UCS's. Which enables me to have two views of the model. I needed to do this becasue CAD does not like to create a surface on a near vertical wall. You will see these different Usc's in the list one is World the other is Side. So I was not familiar with an IMX file. I tried to export out of one drawing and import into the other drawing very similar results to exporting/importing an XML file. Which doesn't work.

Message 8 of 9
BrianHailey

I was referring to different coordinate systems, you know, the kind you can assign to the drawing through the drawing settings, not to user coordinate systems.

I'm sorry, I don't have a good workaround for this situation as it has only come up once before and my client went a different route with solving it (not sure what they did).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Oky, thank you for trying. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report