Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface: Exclude above elevation -- contours still shown higher

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
doni49
1755 Views, 5 Replies

Surface: Exclude above elevation -- contours still shown higher

I was trying to show a co-worker the "Exclude Above/Below Elevation" settings.  But for some reason that I'm not seeing, it's still showing the contours that should be excluded.

The following screen shot shows the Definition tab of my surface.  Notice that it says to exclude everything greater than 16'.  To the right of that, you can see the contours and their labels for this same surface.  The surface DID rebuild after turning on this setting.  But the contours still appear.

What am I missing?  I don't use this option often.

SurfaceElevAboveSetting.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: doni49

Try it on the original EG Surface, it should work there, then just close without saving Smiley Wink

It doesn't seem to like a pasted surface because it reads / depends on the source surface info is my guess.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Jay_B

Ok thanks anyway.  We were hoping to be able to exclude contours above a given elevation.  But we didn't want to modify the original surface and we wanted it to be dynamic in case the EG gets updated with additional survey data.

When he was describing what he wanted, I thought paste in the surface and use "Exlude Greater than".

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 6
doni49

We elected to use the contour ranges (on the analysis tab).  One range will use the normal color scheme and the other will just colors that don't plot.

Oh well -- this is as close as we can get I guess.

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 6
Jay_B

@doni49 wrote:

I was trying to show a co-worker the "Exclude Above/Below Elevation" settings.  But for some reason that I'm not seeing, it's still showing the contours that should be excluded.

Don,

FWIW, the exclude elevations on the definition tab is intended to exclude a range of elevations from a surface build altogether.

For example if I have a dataset which I know contains shots above and below the project range of say 800' to 1000'

then everything out of range could be excluded by using the "Exclude Above/Below Elevation" settings.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Jay_B

That's what I THOUGHT it was for.  In this situation, everything above elevation 833 on our site would be cut and regraded.  Anything below 833 will potentially stay unmodified.  For the time being, we just need to get a plot that shows ONLY the contours below 833.

Eventually, it would have been nice to be able paste this surface in to the FG surface as a starting point -- 833 and below would look exactly like the EG while everything above 833 would be redesigned.  But I guess we'll have to rethink that part when we get there.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report