Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Elevation labels

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
trentvb
657 Views, 2 Replies

Surface Elevation labels

We work with Hydrogrphic surveys that have large numbers of points. We would like to be able to display grided spot heights coloured to represent the elevation. (Similar to elevation banding)

I have created a surface and then created surface elevation points on a grid with spacing of 15m. I have tried looking at setting up a style  that will adjust the colour depending on the elevation ie 0 to -1 = red but havn't made any progress.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Im am currently using civil 3D 2012 with Infrastructure design suite premium 2012

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: trentvb

Off the top of my head, I would look at having a set of expressions, one for each elevation range you want a colour for, that return a text height based on what the surface elevation is. If the spot elevation falls within a particular range the expression for that range will return a normal text height (based on your normal spot elevation text height - we use 0.002m for 2mm) and the expressions for the rest of the ranges will return a text height of 0.00001m.

Might be easier to explain below.

If you want to label 4 ranges, 0.0 - 1.0m red, 1.0 - 2.0m blue, 2.0 - 3.0m green, 3.0m - 4.0m yellow, you need 4 expressions and a label with 4 text components.

If the spot elevation is 1.2 then

Expression 1 for 0.0 - 1.0m returns 0.00001 which goes into the height for text component 1 which is a red surface elevation

Expression 2 for 1.0 - 2.0m returns 0.002 which goes into the height for text component 2 which is a blue surface elevation

Expression 3 for 2.0 - 3.0m returns 0.00001 which goes into the height for text component 3 which is a green surface elevation

Expression 4 for 3.0 - 4.0m returns 0.00001 which goes into the height for text component 4 which is a yellow surface elevation

This will result in a label with 4 parts, 3 very small, which barely show, and one, the blue label showing at the normal height of 2.0mm

You have to use 0.002 as the expression output is in meters.

There is a thread on here that covers red labels for cut and green labels for fill to use as spot elevation for volume surfaces, which is done in a similar fashion as what I tried to explain about, but just checks if the elevation is greater than or less than 0.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 3
trentvb
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Thanks for your help!!

Used IF statments as you discribed. The main problem was i couldnt find an example for between two elevations ie.. <-2 & >-2.

In the end i used this expression: IF({Surface Elevation}<-2,IF({Surface Elevation}>-3,0.0015,0.000001),0.000001)

So i have 1 label style with a text component for each range and an expression that returns the text height if the elevation is in the range.

Thanks again,

Trent

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report