Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface created from DEM file - how to smooth

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Kundertk
2466 Views, 12 Replies

Surface created from DEM file - how to smooth

Does anyone have advice on how to best smooth a surface created from a DEM file?  Contours produced from the surface, particularly in the flatter areas seem to be following the triangles, so you can see the rectangular nature of the grid.

I've attached a screenshot with the contours shown.  Up to this point when creating the surface, all I did was add a data clip boundary, then add the DEM file (manually within the surface definition, not using the "create surface from DEM" feature).  I had tried some of the options under surface edits & smoothing, natural neighbor interpolation, but the results were still all wonky.  There must be something I'm forgetting to do, or making an error somewhere along in the process.

Capture.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
antoniovinci
in reply to: Kundertk

Would you please share that Dem with us, sir?

Message 3 of 13
neilyj666

what is the grid spacing in the DEM?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 13
Kundertk
in reply to: antoniovinci

The file is 4.1MB, so it's not going to let me upload it here. I downloaded it from Geobase.ca. The exact file doesn't seem to matter to me - this is a recurring issue when I try to use these things.
Message 5 of 13
Kundertk
in reply to: neilyj666

Measuring the "triangles", I get 22m (approx.) by 15m
Message 6 of 13
neilyj666

I think the upload limit is around 5Mb now.

what is the end use for the DEM file data?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
Kundertk
in reply to: neilyj666

Just supplementing data around the outsides of our actual topo survey limits - looking more for trends and drainage directions. I plan on just creating a composite surface (with the DEM, then the topo pasted on top of that), mostly for showing contours on a plan. I'm not planning on running earthworks using this data.
Message 8 of 13
antoniovinci

GrapeSquishy wrote:
The file is 4.1MB, so it's not going to let me upload it here

You can upload it on a file sharing cloud server, e.g. http://ge.tt/

Message 9 of 13
rmacan

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I have surface contours that are displayed on the attached image. 

I found the DEM to create the Surface on the following site:

http://keck.library.unr.edu/Search/DEM/

The one I was using is called Desert Creek Ranch.  I created a surface and displayed the contours at 2' and 10' intervals.  

Is there a way to get them to behave like normal contours (eg, no dead ends, dash marks, connecting loops)?  I tried SmoothSurface but it made it worse, unless I  used it wrong, which is entirely possible.  The Help Menu was not very helpful. 

Is there anything I can do to get them to closely match a 7.5 minute USGS topo Quad?

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 13
Kundertk
in reply to: rmacan

I haven't been able to find a way to smooth it.  In  my case, it's because the data is fairly rough - rounded to the nearest meter.  The program is just connecting the dots and leaving me with rather jagged, abrupt contours that look pretty horrible.

Here's a screenie of the data showing triangles, contours and some surface labels at the vertices:

Capture2.JPG

I'll attach a zipped copy of one of the raw DEM files in case anyone really wants to use the raw data, but I don't suppose much can be done when there are so many consecutive points at the same elevation. The program is probably doing what you'd otherwise WANT it to do. Legalese disclaimer for the licensing of the data obtained from Geobase blah blah blah:

http://data.gc.ca/eng/open-government-licence-canada

Message 11 of 13
neilyj666

That's about as good as you could expect with 1m level intervals. At technique I use with DEM/gridded XYZ data is to bring it into MAP and cretae a contour layer, then alter properties to bring into Civil. The main caveat is that it works well in areas with decent relief i.e. river valleys & ridges etc but in flat areas it is very jagged

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
antoniovinci

Well, better later than ever, sir...

After converting your Dem to UTM system, I got those attached 10 mt. contours: check 'em out, thx.

Message 13 of 13
Kundertk

Haha, this particular projects sat on the shelf for awhile, waiting for other people to do their thing, chasing after approvals, talk about it, write reports, talk some more, write some more reports, etc. Now it's coming back. We'll probably get a real topo survey of the property done, but the preliminary information is always helpful to send to the surveyors, geotechnical consultants, etc. so that they know what we're after, before they hit the field. Thanks for running those. Looks pretty similar to what I was getting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report